Home Stress & Anxiety Expert Q&A Hub My stress or anxiety symptoms & solutions

CBT - Would CBT help me?

Hello, I was diagnosed with anxiety a year ago and was put on antidepressants. They helped at first but I want to get off them and am looking for a long-term solution. I came across CBT and I was wondering if anybody has experience with it? Would it help my anxiety? How do I start CBT?

Tagged:

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hi @puppy3, welcome to our Q&A Hub!

I'm currently doing CBT myself and I find it helpful. It's all about focusing on and understanding your thoughts, feelings, behaviours and how they're all connected. I think it's definitely worth a try!

Usually the first port of call would be your doctor, but there can be a long wait for CBT on the NHS. You can also look for a therapist to access CBT privately at the following link: https://www.babcp.com/.

I think a good idea would be to research CBT as much as possible before looking for a therapist, to make sure this is something you'd be comfortable with. There are some good self-help apps & resources out there!

For example, Tomo is a mental health app that's based on Behavioural Activation, a therapy which is a core part of CBT:

I also wanted to share this article with you, it gives a really good overview of CBT, what it is, what does it involve, how to start etc:

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to post any more questions.

Take care,

Blanka