Home Stress & Anxiety Expert Q&A Hub Self-care space

Fighting anxiety / stress?

What's your favourite activity to fight anxiety / stress?

Comments

• L_F_DL_F_D Posts: 5 Community Admin

Going outside and breathing in some fresh air. If I'm ever feeling anxious and worried it works wonders. Just taking a moment to pause and breath is so so important, you should give it a try. Interested to hear what others have to say on this too!

• blankazsanna5blankazsanna5 Posts: 23 ✭✭

I do squats, no kidding! Exercise really does help, I get up and do 20-25 of them each time I feel an anxiety attack coming 😂

• SunshinedaffSunshinedaff Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning!

Spending time in the garden is one of my main peaceful spaces. Just pottering around, doing bits and bobs out there that need attending to. Sometimes though just sitting outside as someone else has suggested, even for a few minutes. I take my coffee with me, and sit. Usually one of the cats joins me and we sit and look at the garden world together.

I have begun to do painting also this year. Not freestyle painting. I bought some good quality painting by numbers sets, and they have been very relaxing to do. I can lose myself for an hour or two, or however long I spend at one time.

Last year, I had a baking frenzy, made tons of Christmas cakes which I managed to give most away. Lol. I haven't done that yet this year, trying not to, as I still have lots left.

I am living in an intensely stressful situation with family ill health, as are many others I am sure. Sometimes it is very hard to switch off, especially while we are in lockdown. If none of these things are possible, I do watch a TV show etc.

Distraction is one of the important things to try and do, however that looks, something to take the mind of current circumstances. Practicing mindfulness, meditation, praying can also help to bring a sense of calm and peacefulness, changing the focus.

Lou x