Home Stress & Anxiety Expert Q&A Hub Asking for help, visiting your GP and being diagnosed

Is this anxiety or am I just stressed out?

Here's the thing I don't understand. How do I know if I'm "just" exhausted because of the constant stress (I'm doing a masters whilst working full-time) or if I have a mental health problem? I'm just irritated non-stop. I'm also fatigued but equally, I'm unable to relax and switch off. I keep telling myself I shouldn't read this book or watch this series as it's a "waste of time" and I should be more productive, e.g. studying and so on.

Comments

• L_F_DL_F_D Posts: 5 Community Admin

Hello, sorry to hear you are feeling like this! I can certainly sympathise. I've just been diagnosed with anxiety and would really recommend you speak to your GP, or a close friend or someone else you trust if you are not sure what is going on. In my experience it's impossible for you to really tell and starting to have conversations with someone about how you are feeling is a really good place to begin. I'm just at the beginning of my journey so don't have much else to offer at the moment other than to say don't beat yourself up for feeling that way!

• puppy3puppy3 Posts: 24 ✭✭

Hi there, all I would say is be kind to yourself and know that being 'just' exhausted is enough to have a chat to someone. It sounds like you have a lot on and that you are bothered by the irritation and not being able to relax. Have you tried any breathing exercises or mindfulness sessions?