Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

UTIs

Hi, does anyone have tips to coping with regular UTIs? I suffer badly, I have to wee at least 20 times a day...and I get UTIs almost every other month. I got a doctor's appointment next week, but any advice in the meantime? :(

Comments

• MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 433 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@flowergirl5

Thank you for writing in on a common issue.

You say you suffer badly, have you had lots of them?

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how many UTI's have you had in the past 12 months? That is ones where samples were sent to your hospital and they had bacteria in them?

When were your last lot of antibiotics?

Have you had any investigations? Are you going through the menopause? Any vaginal dryness, itch or soreness too?

Sorry for 20 questions!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hi @flowergirl5,

thank you for your question! I can see Diane got in touch already. :)

I also just wanted to say we have a new gynaecologist @Giada Frontino on board with us as well, feel free to ask any questions, they’re both super lovely and helpful. x

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi @flowergirl5 sorry to hear you are going through this. UTIs can be very painful. The only advice I can give you that's helped me in the past is to drink lots of water and drink ocean spray cranberry juice. Cranberry juice cleans the system and can help. Also if you are sexually active then make sure you pee before and after. Also when you have finished peeing Rock back and forwards a bit just to make sure its all out.

Good luck with your GP next week. X

• Mary78Mary78 Posts: 30 ✭✭

I'm reading all the question s and feel like I can relate to so many. Are utis related to menopause too? I had no idea. @Julie20 sometimes I just get a bottle of cranberry juice, even when I'm all fine..I keep telling myself it's for preventive purposes.:D

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 337 ✭✭✭

I don't get UTI's as much as I did when I was more sexually active and younger but I remember the discomfort of them and yes Julie I drank a lot of cranberry juice too to get rid of them sometimes it helped and sometimes it didn't depending on how quickly I caught it but if I didn't catch it on time I had to go see the doctor.

Flowergirl I hope you found some relief from your symptoms.

@Mary78

Hi Mary. If you are experiencing vaginal dryness, sore, itch, cystitis symptoms they are often related to menopause. Have you talked to your GP about menopause? HRT? Do you have any other symptoms?

I'm not saying everything is the menopause that's why your GP can advise if they think something else is the cause. However; the symptoms are really common in menopause. I often prescribe HRT and vaginal oestrogen, so your GP may suggest or talk to you about this.

Take care

• Mary78Mary78 Posts: 30 ✭✭

Thank you @Diane Porterfield-Bourne. I haven't talked to my GP about the menopause but I'm planning to after lockdown hopefully. I recently started struggling with sleep, I keep waking up at 3am prompt every single night. I have no idea why but it makes me so tired in the day...

@Mary78

It's well worth talking to your GP about this. They can talk about HRT or if this isn't something you want to do they will discuss the alternatives. However; if possible do consider HRT as it helps many women.

GP surgeries are open and running so please don't stop lockdown seeing your GP.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 337 ✭✭✭

@Mary78

Hi Mary,

I have done that quit a bit myself waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning for no reason at all just wide awake sometimes I can go back to sleep and sometimes I can't. When I can't go back to sleep I just get up and do whatever like drink a cup of tea or coffee, read a book , watch TV or go in my office and try to have some time to myself and sometimes after I do that I will get sleepy and I will go back to bed or sometimes I am up for the rest of the day. Either way I am extremely tired the next day and it so sucks.