Award-Winning Nutrionist Nicki Williams Joins Us For Our First Ever Ask Me Anything Event!

Nicki_WilliamsNicki_Williams Posts: 25 Menopause Expert
Nicki Williams, award-winning nutritionist, author, speaker and leading expert in women's health, joins us for our first ever Menopause Ask Me Anything Event on the 16th of January at 7pm!

Leave your Questions Below Now!

After failing to find any medical help for her health issues herself in her early 40’s, Nicki discovered that she could turn things around using diet, lifestyle and natural supplements.

She is the founder of Happy Hormones for Life, educating, inspiring, empowering and providing the missing support for women over 40 to sail through peri-menopause and beyond and feel better than ever!

Leave your questions below for Nicki to answer when she joins us live on the 16th of January at 7pm for our first ever Ask Me Anything Event!

Leave your Questions Below Now!

Comments

• KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Hi Nicki,
    It’s very exciting to be able to pick your brains. So many questions, BUT, I’m going to go with just this...
    I’m unable to take HRT due to migraines, and I’ve pretty much been left to my own devices to find “something” that works for me. My symptoms include unbearable hot flushes, chronic insomnia, mood swings, ridiculous crying spells to name just a few. I dont want to go to my GP again and be offered more anti depressants - it’s my hormones that are out of whack!
     What is the best way to find natural supplements or remedies that work for you? I’ve spent hours trawling the Internet for advice, SO MUCH money trying every new supplement or product I can find to get my symptoms under control. I know there’s no hard and fast answer, because everyone reacts differently to different things, but I’m now caught in a vicious circle of taking loads of supplements, and I’m scared to drop one in case that’s the one that’s keeping everything on an even keel for me. Bonkers I know! Are there some things that are more likely to work than others? I look forward to hearing your advice!
    Karen  :)
  • Sally1969Sally1969 Posts: 1
    I have a strange symptom to ask about. I vibrate, my bladder burns if I do not empty it straight away and then it thrums all across my pelvic area. The urge to empty my bladder comes on quickly and very strong. In the evening particularly my nerves down my legs and then upwards into my jaw are on high alert. I have just started taking medication to relax the over active bladder. Is this normal? And is there any other treatment I could consider?
  • MchorneMchorne Posts: 2
    Hello Nikki I'm going through menopause and have oestoporisis and low esoteogen levels vitamin d ,c,k, all ok my doctor has advised no hrt due to stroke and heart attacks in family what can I do to raise my estrogen levels and help with oestoporisis and help with menopause lacking energy and dry skin and stressed can I do anything ?? I take vitamins but don't seem to help need help with my bones as well as menopause not sure what I can do hope you can help me ,??? 
  • FrankeeFrankee Posts: 2
    Hello Nikki, I am in the early stages of the menopause and due to my Family Breast Cancer History, I am reluctant to try HRT.  I have been trying to help alleviate some of my symptoms (Hot flushes, anxiety, disturbed sleep) with diet and exercise.  I have taken the Menopace Original nutrient for the past 3 months.  I am unsure though how much this nutrient provides me with what I need.  I looked at the ingredients and does not contain calcium.  Please, could you advise me on what I should be taking to help me get the right nutritional support?  I am also cutting down on Caffeine and Alcohol to help with my swings in mood.  Many thanks.
  • KazKaz Posts: 482 mod
    Hi Nicki,
    Ive just read this morning that saffron supplements are the new “go to” for helping us get to sleep.  It does seem like there is always some new product to try, and I’m always keen to try anything to help with my menopausal symptoms.
    Following surgically induced menopause at age 34, I have struggled with awful insomnia - at its worst, two or three hours sleep a night. I’m almost fifty now and I have tried so many things over the years to try to help me get the rest that I need.
    Just a few weeks ago I started taking a new supplement, Lemon Aid 714, a combination of gaba and lemon balm. The results, for me, have been amazing. I am sleeping so much better, regularly getting 6 or 7 hours. Not every night, but enough to make me feel human again.
    My question is this - is it too good to be true? Am I just so chronically tired that I’m sleeping the sleep of the exhausted finally? Or is it really possible that this combination is actually working? I have searched and searched to find out if there is something about this product I should be alarmed about, but I’m coming up blank! I think I’m scared that this is some placebo effect and the sleeplessness is going to creep back in.
    Do you have any thoughts on this?
  • MalteaserMalteaser Posts: 1
    Him going through real bad time of everything at the moment what can I take to help with menopause im agraphobic so can't take hrt as i was told o would have to be monitored regular its so depressing thanx
  • JuJu23JuJu23 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Hello Nicki and everyone..
    Like many others here it’s IMSOMNIA that’s the worst - which has a knock on affect on all aspects of life ...anxiety, self esteem ,motivation, and of course tiredness! 😓 it’s so debilitating and trying to cope at work is exhausting ...
    Ju 
  • Dibbs1967Dibbs1967 Posts: 1
    Ive tried various HRT treatments but nothing seemed to suit me,so I’m going natural but I’m struggling with night flushes, my skin is very dry and spot/blemish prone but by far the worse is the fact that after 3 UTI ‘s im now suffering with the constant urge to pee and never feeling like my bladder is empty,have a few leakages.With this and flushes at night I’m only getting 3-4 hours sleep which isn’t great for work the next day.
    I do exercise 3 times a week, walk the dog every day,don’t drink or smoke ,I class myself as quite healthy.
    Any suggestions more than welcome,thanks in advance for any advice.
  • mucket1971mucket1971 Posts: 2

Hi Nicki

I'm 47 years old and stopped taking the contraceptive pill 5 months ago.  Since then I haven't had any period at all and I'm struggling with weight gain and hot flushes at night.  All of these are having an effect on my work and personal life.  I eat a plant based diet, walk the dog for at least an hour every day and teach Pilates so I consider myself to have a fairly healthy lifestyle.  I don't smoke but do drink alcohol although trying to cut that down to see if that helps.

Any advice would be great. Thanks. Karen

• KittiferKittifer Posts: 3
    Hi Nicki
    I’m 47 and menopausal, I think I  had symptoms way before diagnosis. I have a family history of breast cancer and have been classed as high risk, therefore unable to take HRT. I am trying to adjust my diet to help manage the symptoms. I don’t drink alcohol or coffee. I’d be really grateful if you could advise any foods or supplements which may be beneficial. Many thanks. Sally😁
  • Green15Green15 Posts: 5
    I would like some advice on what food to eat and not to eat also what supplements to take at the moment  I am taking  MacaPause  and Promensil red clover 
  • Sal60Sal60 Posts: 1
    I would like to know how you get your doctor to take you seriously as I read symptoms that are me anxious panicky fainting hot then cold and so tired of feeling like this. How do you get someone to take you seriously
  • KNA67KNA67 Posts: 2
    Hi Nicki,
    i have lupus and take various medication including warfarin, just wondering if you could suggest anything that would help with my very low mood, emotional episodes ( all day or a couple of times a day). Weight gain is getting me down and unable to excersise  much due to arthritis. 
    Thanks 🤞🙏
    Karen 
  • Kazz_cop8Kazz_cop8 Posts: 1
    I'm 57 and menopausal, I have had just about every symptom but the hot flushes are almost unbearable, I have tried every natural approach but nothing works, apart from maybe CBD but then I experience palpitations. Any advice welcomed!!
  • hessomhessom Posts: 113 Community Admin
    Hi everybody, thank you for joining us for the AMA with Nicki Williams! She's joining us for the next half an hour, she's now live and setting up. We'll be starting in the next few minutes!
  • Nicki_WilliamsNicki_Williams Posts: 25 Menopause Expert
    KazKenn24 said:
    Hi Nicki,
    It’s very exciting to be able to pick your brains. So many questions, BUT, I’m going to go with just this...
    I’m unable to take HRT due to migraines, and I’ve pretty much been left to my own devices to find “something” that works for me. My symptoms include unbearable hot flushes, chronic insomnia, mood swings, ridiculous crying spells to name just a few. I dont want to go to my GP again and be offered more anti depressants - it’s my hormones that are out of whack!
     What is the best way to find natural supplements or remedies that work for you? I’ve spent hours trawling the Internet for advice, SO MUCH money trying every new supplement or product I can find to get my symptoms under control. I know there’s no hard and fast answer, because everyone reacts differently to different things, but I’m now caught in a vicious circle of taking loads of supplements, and I’m scared to drop one in case that’s the one that’s keeping everything on an even keel for me. Bonkers I know! Are there some things that are more likely to work than others? I look forward to hearing your advice!
    Karen  :)
    Hi Karen, 

Do you still get migraines with patches or gel? Transdermal oestrogen is body-identical so doesn’t usually have any side effects. If that doesn’t work, then you need to address diet, stress, environment and exercise, as well as useful supplements. Do sign up for my free guide and you will get tips on all of these. Or go deeper in my book.

In the meantime check out my favourite supplements for menopause here; http://happyhormonesforlife.com/menopause-supplements/

I’d also be getting professional help to identify the root cause of your migraines. These can have several causal factors including imbalances in; cortisol, oestrogen/progesterone, insulin, thyroid. As well as nutrient deficiencies; eg Vitamin D, B12, ferritin, magnesium, B Vitamins, Omega 3 fats. Food sensitivities can also be a factor (try going gluten and dairy free for a few weeks to see if it helps). Inflammation in the gut can also cause migraines.

Once you find the root cause, it’s much easier to resolve the issue. Let me know if you want to chat with me about this.

Sally1969 said:
    I have a strange symptom to ask about. I vibrate, my bladder burns if I do not empty it straight away and then it thrums all across my pelvic area. The urge to empty my bladder comes on quickly and very strong. In the evening particularly my nerves down my legs and then upwards into my jaw are on high alert. I have just started taking medication to relax the over active bladder. Is this normal? And is there any other treatment I could consider?

Hi Sally, sorry to hear this, it’s a nasty symptom, and usually due to lower oestrogen levels affecting bladder control. It sounds like there may be some inflammation there too, if you are feeling pain. You need to focus on an anti-inflammatory diet (try eliminating gluten and dairy for 3-4 weeks to see if there’s an improvement) with plenty of vegetables, low refined carb/processed foods. Try D-Mannose supplements to help with any infection and check your Vitamin D levels as its your main immune regulator. Omega 3 fats in oily fish help with inflammation and nerve function too. Magnesium can help to relax your nerves. Check with your Dr though if you’re on medication. 

Mchorne said:
    Hello Nikki I'm going through menopause and have oestoporisis and low esoteogen levels vitamin d ,c,k, all ok my doctor has advised no hrt due to stroke and heart attacks in family what can I do to raise my estrogen levels and help with oestoporisis and help with menopause lacking energy and dry skin and stressed can I do anything ?? I take vitamins but don't seem to help need help with my bones as well as menopause not sure what I can do hope you can help me ,??? 

Firstly there is a new study just published that found there is no risk of blood clots if you take transdermal oestrogen (patches or gel). Take this to your Dr; https://medicalresearch.com/endocrinology/hormone-therapy/blood-clots-linked-to-oral-hormone-replacement-for-menopause-symptoms/46893/?fbclid=IwAR2aOj-2Yr184z7bh21XSbDJVKY8XBQK110-UBYx2SZfSryjH72J2NUGMNI

There are also lots of nutrients needed to protect your bones, including Vitamin D, Vitamin K2, Magnesium, Calcium, strontium, boron, molybdenum and phosphorous. Check out my blog on osteoporosis; http://happyhormonesforlife.com/osteoporosis-natural-solutions/

Try omega 3 DHA/EPA formulas for dry skin. And Magnesium for stress.

Frankee said:
    Hello Nikki, I am in the early stages of the menopause and due to my Family Breast Cancer History, I am reluctant to try HRT.  I have been trying to help alleviate some of my symptoms (Hot flushes, anxiety, disturbed sleep) with diet and exercise.  I have taken the Menopace Original nutrient for the past 3 months.  I am unsure though how much this nutrient provides me with what I need.  I looked at the ingredients and does not contain calcium.  Please, could you advise me on what I should be taking to help me get the right nutritional support?  I am also cutting down on Caffeine and Alcohol to help with my swings in mood.  Many thanks.

Hi Frankie, great that you are using diet and lifestyle to help your symptoms, especially cutting down on alcohol, however sometimes we need extra nutrients. Unfortunately, the cheaper supplements like Menopace a/ don’t give you enough, b/ don’t provide the active forms of the nutrients and c/ contain fillers and additives.

There are much better quality brands out there that you could try. I’ve got a blog on supplements that you might find useful here; http://happyhormonesforlife.com/menopause-supplements/

Kaz said:
    Hi Nicki,
    Ive just read this morning that saffron supplements are the new “go to” for helping us get to sleep.  It does seem like there is always some new product to try, and I’m always keen to try anything to help with my menopausal symptoms.
    Following surgically induced menopause at age 34, I have struggled with awful insomnia - at its worst, two or three hours sleep a night. I’m almost fifty now and I have tried so many things over the years to try to help me get the rest that I need.
    Just a few weeks ago I started taking a new supplement, Lemon Aid 714, a combination of gaba and lemon balm. The results, for me, have been amazing. I am sleeping so much better, regularly getting 6 or 7 hours. Not every night, but enough to make me feel human again.
    My question is this - is it too good to be true? Am I just so chronically tired that I’m sleeping the sleep of the exhausted finally? Or is it really possible that this combination is actually working? I have searched and searched to find out if there is something about this product I should be alarmed about, but I’m coming up blank! I think I’m scared that this is some placebo effect and the sleeplessness is going to creep back in.
    Do you have any thoughts on this?

Hi Kaz, there is some evidence that saffron helps to stimulate serotonin, which is the pre-cursor to melatonin your sleep hormone. Like everything it depends on what’s causing your sleep issues – if it’s low serotonin/melatonin this might work for you- although a more direct route would be Tryptophan (which converts to serotonin), 5HTP (pre-cursor to serotonin) or melatonin (prescription only but you can buy it online).
    I haven’t heard of Lemon Aid, but if it contains GABA and Lemon balm, it can definitely help with relaxation and sleep. If it’s working for you I would keep going!
    You may also want to give Magnesium a try as it’s a muscle relaxer and we are generally deficient (as stress uses it up!). Check out my blog on sleep; http://happyhormonesforlife.com/top-10-sleeping-tips/

Malteaser said:
    Him going through real bad time of everything at the moment what can I take to help with menopause im agraphobic so can't take hrt as i was told o would have to be monitored regular its so depressing thanx

I’m sorry to hear that, it can be very hard if you can’t get out. I have a lot of free information and tips in my free guide; www.happyhormonesforlife.com/free-guide that is based on diet and lifestyle changes. I also think you would benefit from supplements, especially Vitamin D if you’re not able to get outside, as it has a vital role in mood. Here are my supplement recommendations; http://happyhormonesforlife.com/menopause-supplements/

JuJu23 said:
    Hello Nicki and everyone..
    Like many others here it’s IMSOMNIA that’s the worst - which has a knock on affect on all aspects of life ...anxiety, self esteem ,motivation, and of course tiredness! 😓 it’s so debilitating and trying to cope at work is exhausting ...
    Ju 

HI Juju,  you’re not alone! Sleep issues are one of the most common symptoms for the women I talk to every day. You don’t mention your age or whether you’re pre or post menopause, but there are lots of factors behind poor sleep; low progesterone, high cortisol (stress), alcohol and caffeine, dehydration, nutrient deficiencies, gut infections, blood sugar imbalance, low thyroid and more! Impossible to say what it is for you, but these are some areas to investigate.  Supplements to try before bed include; Magnesium (400mg), L-theanine, Tryptophan, 5HTP, Valerian and chamomile (teas are good). Do check with your Dr if you're on any medications though.

Here’s my blog on my top 10 sleep tips; http://happyhormonesforlife.com/top-10-sleeping-tips/

Dibbs1967 said:
    Ive tried various HRT treatments but nothing seemed to suit me,so I’m going natural but I’m struggling with night flushes, my skin is very dry and spot/blemish prone but by far the worse is the fact that after 3 UTI ‘s im now suffering with the constant urge to pee and never feeling like my bladder is empty,have a few leakages.With this and flushes at night I’m only getting 3-4 hours sleep which isn’t great for work the next day.
    I do exercise 3 times a week, walk the dog every day,don’t drink or smoke ,I class myself as quite healthy.
    Any suggestions more than welcome,thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Dibbs, UTI’s and leakages are a common symptom of menopause – oestrogen has a vital role in bladder health so when it declines, you can get all sorts of bladder issues, as well as hot flushes, night sweats and sleep issues. Have you tried Body Identical HRT in the form of oestrogen patches or gel? It often makes the difference when you react to pills. UTI”s can also be a sign of gut infections – yeast or bacterial infections that travel to the urethra and bladder. If you have any digestive issues (bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhoea, pain) or have taken Antibiotics in the past, then you may want to look further into your gut health. Taking probiotics (eg Bio.Femme by Invivo Clinical is designed to help with this). Kefir and Kombucha are fermented drinks that provide live bacteria to help your gut. You can get them in most supermarkets now. 

Hi Nicki

I'm 47 years old and stopped taking the contraceptive pill 5 months ago.  Since then I haven't had any period at all and I'm struggling with weight gain and hot flushes at night.  All of these are having an effect on my work and personal life.  I eat a plant based diet, walk the dog for at least an hour every day and teach Pilates so I consider myself to have a fairly healthy lifestyle.  I don't smoke but do drink alcohol although trying to cut that down to see if that helps.

Any advice would be great. Thanks. Karen

Hi Karen,  depending how long you were on the pill, and where you are in your menopause journey (impossible to know while you’re on the pill), your periods have either stopped for good and you’re through the menopause OR your cycle is still adjusting to producing natural hormones again and is not quite back to normal.

It would be worth getting your hormones properly checked to see where you are so you can work out what you need. I recommend you get your oestrogen, progesterone tested as well as key nutrients that you may be deficient in. If your Dr can’t do this, we can talk to you about getting tested through us.  In the meantime, try to do a few weeks alcohol free and see if that impacts your flushes (it’s a common trigger), and it will help with weight loss too. Here’s my blog on hot flushes; http://happyhormonesforlife.com/hot-flushes-night-sweats-causes-and-remedies/

Kittifer said:
    Hi Nicki
    I’m 47 and menopausal, I think I  had symptoms way before diagnosis. I have a family history of breast cancer and have been classed as high risk, therefore unable to take HRT. I am trying to adjust my diet to help manage the symptoms. I don’t drink alcohol or coffee. I’d be really grateful if you could advise any foods or supplements which may be beneficial. Many thanks. Sally😁

Hi Sally, you’ve done the right thing taking out alcohol as it’s definitely as risk factor for breast cancer and can exacerbate menopausal symptoms. Your diet needs to be low GL- low Glycaemic load based, to manage your blood sugar and insulin, as too much insulin causes inflammation and can make menopause worse. There are lots of books on eating this way, but it’s basically cutting out refined carbs and sugar, and eating good quality organic protein, healthy fats and complex carbs in the form of vegetables, brown rice, sweet potato, quinoa and other low GL grains.  Minimising toxins is important as these can alter your oestrogen levels – things like BPA plastics, synthetic fragrances and harsh cleaning/laundry products.

Exercise is also critical for breast cancer prevention, as is Vitamin D. Get your levels checked and make sure you’re on the right dose if you’re supplementing (which you should be!). Stress management also a biggie – do check out my free guide for more on all this. Hope that helps x

Green15 said:
    I would like some advice on what food to eat and not to eat also what supplements to take at the moment  I am taking  MacaPause  and Promensil red clover 
    Hi, really hard to answer your question without any details of your current diet. However I always advise some specific foods that help to regulate your oestrogen, including flaxseeds (1-2 tablespoons of milled flaxseeds per day), soy (in moderation) and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, Brussel sprouts, rocket, watercress etc) – all these foods can help with oestrogen fluctuations.  Maca powder is often helpful too (you can add to smoothies or mix it in a hot drink). 
    Do check out my blogs on ‘How to eat your way through the menopause’ and also what general supplements are helpful; 
    http://happyhormonesforlife.com/eat-way-menopause/,
    http://happyhormonesforlife.com/menopause-supplements/
    Sal60 said:
    I would like to know how you get your doctor to take you seriously as I read symptoms that are me anxious panicky fainting hot then cold and so tired of feeling like this. How do you get someone to take you seriously

I totally understand your frustration, I talk to women every day who are not getting enough support from their Dr or other health professionals. I really don’t know why this is, apart from the fact that symptoms can be complex and a 10 minute appointment just isn’t enough to work out what’s going on.  It doesn’t excuse some Dr’s complete lack of knowledge on the menopause however – they really need extra training on it in a lot of cases.

If you don’t feel you are being supported or taken seriously, you should change your Dr. It’s just not good enough. Look for one that is more knowlegable, although I know that’s hard as we often don’t know until we see them, and then they change all the time too. If you’re really stuck and you can’t afford to go private, it’s worth going to a specialist menopause clinic. There are some around although I don’t have any details I’m afraid – something worth googling for your area.  

KNA67 said:
    Hi Nicki,
    i have lupus and take various medication including warfarin, just wondering if you could suggest anything that would help with my very low mood, emotional episodes ( all day or a couple of times a day). Weight gain is getting me down and unable to excersise  much due to arthritis. 
    Thanks 🤞🙏
    Karen 

HI Karen, sorry to hear that. As you know, Lupus is an auto-immune condition, where your immune system attacks your own tissues and organs and creates inflammation. When we work with women with auto-immune conditions (there are over 100 different ones) we are looking to identify the root cause – the reason your immune system is over-reacting and attacking you. This is often gut related, as that’s often where inflammation starts, and most of your immune system sits in the digestive tract.  Most auto-immune conditions stem from a ‘leaky gut’ or intestinal impermeability – basically where your gut lining is too porous and ‘leaks’ the wrong things in to your bloodstream, which then stimulate your immune system into attack mode.  Leaky gut stems from inflammation, and so we look for the source of inflammation – why is it happening. Sometimes it’s genetic, but mostly it’s down to one of 2 things; food sensitivities or dysbiosis (underlying bacteria, yeast or parasite infection in the gut). 

First thing I would recommend is to try the AIP diet (Auto-Immune Protocol) – it’s a strict elimination diet that can be very effective for Lupus sufferers. After a while you bring back the restricted foods one by one to see which one might cause symptoms. Here’s a link for more info; https://www.thepaleomom.com/start-here/the-autoimmune-protocol

Secondly you can get a comprehensive stool test done – not available on the NHS I’m afraid, but we do them all the time to find out what’s going on in the gut and see whether you have an underlying imbalance or infection that is causing the inflammation. It’s not cheap, but it can provide the missing link for many AI sufferers. Let me know if you’d like to talk to us about that.

Kazz_cop8 said:
    I'm 57 and menopausal, I have had just about every symptom but the hot flushes are almost unbearable, I have tried every natural approach but nothing works, apart from maybe CBD but then I experience palpitations. Any advice welcomed!!
    So sorry to hear you're struggling. You're not alone as you can see here! What kind of diet are you on? Do you have a lot of stress in your life? Are you exercising? All these things have a big effect on how you go through menopause. I often find that if you're eating well and exercising, it's sometimes stress that is causing the biggest disruption? And it's not always obvious stresses it could be an underlying stress such as a nutrient deficiency, thyroid issue, digestive imbalance etc. 

Worth also looking at potential triggers for hot flushes. check out my blog for more on that; http://happyhormonesforlife.com/hot-flushes-night-sweats-causes-and-remedies/

What's your position on HRT? Have you been offered it and which kind?
  • KazKaz Posts: 482 mod
    Hello Nicki,
    Thanks so much for all your useful information tonight!
    Really interesting reading through your responses to everyone.
    I, for one, am going to revisit my GP armed with information, and I’ll be more specific with my request for help as a result of your advice.
    I really appreciate your help. 😊 

This discussion has been closed.