Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

What next?

Roobee45Roobee45 Posts: 31 ✭✭

Hi all I spoke to my GP and decided to come off propranolol last Thursday. After a migraine on Friday morning, I feel they are put of my system now. So, am back to square one - palpitations - especially in waking, tearful, exhausted, moody, headache, restless legs, night sweats - cold and hot, period type pains, insomnia...all point at hormones I think? Feel so sad and have no energy. Not sure where to turn next... Am taking menopace and have ordered some magnesium supplements. Am open to any advice as don't know what to do next.

Thanks for listening

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 314 mod

Hi @Roobee45 did the Dr offer an alternative to propranolol? Citalopram is very good for menopause related symptoms and anxiety. It may be worth giving those a try.

Life is too short to suffer this with no support so if you haven't been offered anything else it may be worth having another chat with your GP x

• Roobee45Roobee45 Posts: 31 ✭✭

Thank you for replying, yes he did mention citalopram. I took them for around 16 years, only came off them 2 years ago so this could definitely be an option.

X

Hi @Roobee45 it's good that you've taken them previously as you already know if they work for you. Speak to your GP again as life is too short for us to go through it feeling like rubbish.

Good luck luv x

Hi @Roobee45 how are you now? Have you started taking anything else now the propranolol is out of your system?

It's so hard to get anything at the moment while all gp surgeries etc are closed so I hope you haven't been left suffering x

Hi, no I haven't been back to my GP yet. I have started taking magnesium, calcium and evening primrose oil. Too early to say if they're doing anything yet!

As soon as my period ends it feels like my hormones go haywire, I seem to get two weeks of PMT, tearful, irritable, headaches, insomnia, restless legs...

I am back in work one day a week which is helping me mentally.

Thank you so much for asking x

P. S.

Can anyone tell me how long if takes for the vitamins to take effect and is there anything else that might help?

Thank you!

• JunieJunie Posts: 44 ✭✭

I take magnesium citrate,

I have been taking it for a few years now.

i did recently run out and was without them for a few weeks, I did notice that my sleep was not good, got back on them again and my sleep was much better.

They were recommended to me by another website the lady is fantastic with her knowledge, not sure if I am allowed to give her name here.

Junie

• LetsgetthroughitLetsgetthroughit Posts: 3

My mom goes through these guys for menopause supplements. She says They are amazing  https://tinyurl.com/yb7h7rp2

• DianePorterfield-BourneDianePorterfield-Bourne Posts: 183 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Roobee45

I was wondering if you had a chat to your GP about HRT? You said the gel had been mentioned and wondered if they had discussed this in more detail? or been prescribed any HRT?

Please let me know.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

Hi,

I has my swab results back and it appears I do have thrush so am treating that first. I did talk to my nurse about the other symptoms I have and she wants to do a blood test once this is sorted just to make sure it isn't thyroid or anaemia.

Am thoroughly exhausted today and feal quite teary and depressed.

Hopefully a better day tomorrow!

Thank you for staying in touch. I appreciate the support as I don't really have anyone to talk to who understands.

X

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 148 mod

@Roobee45

Hello, I hope that you have been feeling better these past couple of days.

Hi,

Thank you for asking. Am very up and down, can feel rough and teary all morning then fine in the evening. It's the unpredictability of it that grinds me down.

Have started taking biotel but I'm not sure that's helping! Also think a decent night's sleep might help! 😔 Just feel miserable, I'm sure my family are sick of me now!

Am due to call my nurse either Monday or Tuesday.

R x

• DianePorterfield-BourneDianePorterfield-Bourne Posts: 183 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Roobee45

I am sorry to hear you are up and down, like you said it is the unpredictability of hormones..good and bad days.

At least you know about the infection and can get treatment.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Take care and please keep in touch and let us all know how you are doing.

Best wishes

Hi

Have had some of the blood test results back today, it appears I have a high level of sugar in my blood. This would explain the persistant yeast infection and tiredness. So, I have been advised to tweak my diet - watch sugar and carbohydrate intake, gentle exercise and to stay hydrated.

Lots of fruit and vegetables for me! Has anyone else had this problem? Hopefully it will make me feel better... We shall see.

X

@Roobee45

Hello and I am glad you know what is going on! It is often the unknowing that worries us more...

Has your GP told you that you are a type 2 diabetic? or borderline diabetic?

The information is correct, watch sugars and carbohydrate. It is often the hidden sugars we do not think of. I am not a nutritionalist but do talk to your GP about diet or ask to be referred to different services that support people.

Fruit contains a sugar called fructose, a "better" sugar but still a sugar. I often advise women to eat more vegetables as the sugars in them are much lower than fruit....just a thought. Your GP will provide you with all the guidance you need.

All the best.

Thank you x

She said I am able to reverse it as I am in danger of becoming type 2 in the future if I don't do something about it now... Weird because I am really careful about what I eat, I don't drink and I exercise regularly... Had further results today saying I am anaemic so have iron tablets!

It's all good fun!!

Ruth x

Also, it is the high glucose levels that can cause thrush, which is something I didn't know before!

My bloods also showed a raised liver function which is really worrying me, although I was on antibiotics to treat the thrush when I had the blood test so Dr thinks they may have caused the raised reading.

More confused than ever now as still have menopause type symptoms and not sleeping at all.

R x

@Roobee45

You do have a lot going on...but the reassuring thing is that your GP is addressing your health concerns.

Your GP is correct. If you have sugar in your urine ( which we shouldn't have normally) we are more prone to fungal and urine infections as they breed easier and love a sugary environment!

By addressing this now you can reduce your health risks. Type 2 diabetes can be familial. If parents/siblings developed it middle age, we can too. Sometimes there is no link, it's just one of those things but reducing risk factors can significantly improve things; like keeping our weight down, eating a Mediterranean style diet and exercising will all help.

It just sounds that one thing has led to another, like a domino effect. You now can deal with this one step at a time. But do keep talking to your GP about your menopause.

Please keep us informed.

Best wishes

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 316 Community Admin

Hi @Roobee45,

Sorry to hear you're going through so many things - but it's definitely good you now know what's going on and can deal with everything one step at a time. ❤️

Just wanted to say I'm also anaemic, which makes me tired all the time. I take iron tablets too and was advised to have a glass of wine each week, well, I'm certainly not against that. :)

I also found that exercising regularly helps a lot with the constant exhaustion. Although I don't particularly enjoy it. Especially in this hot weather. 😁

Keep well x

Blanka