Home Menopause Forum Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Joint pain and insomnia

KarenSKarenS Posts: 3

Hello. I'm new here and hoping for some help. I'm 55 and just a couple weeks from the magic "1 year" date. I can handle the hot flashes and dry skin. I'm already heavy set and I don't notice any unusual weight gain. My *big* problems are joint pain in my legs, including my ankles and toes, and insomnia. My legs hurt and feel weak anytime I'm on my feet for more than an hour or so and they "ache" at night. I've had my knees xray'd and there were no concerns other than some arthritis. I also find legs are hyper-sensitive now; any pressure of any kind actually hurts, yet bending my joints doesn't hurt at all. Sleep is a long lost friend much of the time. I can't fall asleep and I can't get comfortable. I'm still working so this is a big problem, and I've never functioned well without sufficient sleep. Anyone else gaving these issues? Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 319 Community Admin

Hi @KarenS, welcome to the community (and the menopause - almost)! :)

Unfortunately both aches and pains and problems with sleeping are among the most common symptoms of the menopause - and a lot of ladies on here are going through similar experiences! @Julie20 for example posted something similar the other day:

This one is also full of tips from our ladies:

Generally speaking, there are vitamins / supplements that can help. Magnesium, glucosamine and calcium are all good for joint and bone health. I take magnesium every day and calcium 3 times a week (although my legs hurt due to my sports background, not the menopause).

I read that Omega-3-rich foods, for example, oily fish like sardines, salmon and tuna are good too. For 'instant' help, a muscle rub might be a good idea, I have a lavender one as lavender has anti-inflammatory properties. :)

I found that exercise also helps. A bit of stretching or yoga each day.

If you're up for reading, I'd recommending having a look at the this article, it's full of tips and recommendations:

I'm going to do some digging into sleep for you, hope this helps in the meantime. x

Have a fab weekend!

Blanka x

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 319 Community Admin

Forgot to mention we have a lovely menopause nurse on here, @DianePorterfield-Bourne who might be able to help! I tagged her so she'll be able to see this and get back to you. 😊

Her expert page is full of great tips, definitely worth having a look in the meantime:

• DianePorterfield-BourneDianePorterfield-Bourne Posts: 124 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@KarenS

Hello Karen. Thank you for your post about joint pains.

This is a really common symptom of low Oestrogen during menopause. The good thing is your GP has sent you for investigations and you know there isn't anything bad that's going on.

Has your GP advised anything?

Lack of Oestrogen affects every single women, it isn't something any women won't experience. Some women have few symptoms, others lots. Aching joints can be really miserable. Have you talked to your GP about replacing your low Oestrogen with HRT?

It is well worth talking about and getting more advice.

Warm baths, exercise and massage will all ease discomfort but if Oestrogen deficiency is the cause then HRT maybe the way to go.

Ensure you are eating a good balanced diet, taking Vitamin D and calcium and exercising will ensure you are doing all you can.

I hope your GP can advise and also by reading the comments on Live Better With Menopause.

Please keep in touch.

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

• KarenSKarenS Posts: 3

My doctor hasn't siggested that it could have anything to do with menopause, but he did suggest vitamin D, magnesium and massage. I'll add calcium to that. I'm really hesitant to go the route of hormone therapy because there is breast cancer in my family. I take tylenol for arthritis twice daily and that keeps it in check, but that's as long as I don't spend much time on my feet. Something as simple as walking our dogs becomes a major problem for me some days. That makes the exercise piece difficult. Now that the warmer weather is approaching I'll soon be able to swim in our pool which should help. Are there any other supplements you would suggest?

• DianePorterfield-BourneDianePorterfield-Bourne Posts: 124 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@KarenS

Thank you for writing back to me. It is a bit concerning that your GP hasn't mentioned menopause... as you are post menopausal and menopause affects every single women! You will be deficient in Oestrogen regardless now.

The guidelines from the British Menopause Society are quite clear regarding family history and breast cancer, I use their guidelines when prescribing to women whose GP's have not understood when breast cancer risks apply or not. Please private message me to discuss this further if you want.

There are nutritional people on here who can help advise on supplements however nothing will improve Oestrogen deficiency like Oestrogen replacement. Are you based in the UK or the USA?

I hope I have helped you and please keep in touch.

Best wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.

• KarenSKarenS Posts: 3

I am in Canada actually.