Menopause - What Did You Expect?

I'm curious to find out from others - what did you expect the menopause to be like? Did you even think about it at all? Is there something that you wish you'd known in advance? With all the knowledge and experience you have now, what would your advice to other women approaching the menopause be?

I wish I'd known more when my mother was going through the menopause. Perhaps if I'd understood what was happening, I'd have been more sympathetic. Looking back, I can remember very clearly some of the symptoms I'm now dealing with myself - flushes, mood swings, crying, depression, crushing insomnia. My advice to any woman now would be to talk about the menopause and all it's glorious side effects and symptoms to anyone who'll listen, and as often and as loudly as you can! We need to make it as normal to be going through the menopause (and hear about it)  as it is to go through puberty, have periods etc.

Comments

• sue090967sue090967 Posts: 2
    I feel exactly the same. My poor mum! We all have to go through this, but it’s still seen as a taboo subject, we must talk more openly about it and demystify it. Maybe then it won’t be feared as much and we can embrace it. 
  • KazKaz Posts: 482 mod
    sue090967 said:
    I feel exactly the same. My poor mum! We all have to go through this, but it’s still seen as a taboo subject, we must talk more openly about it and demystify it. Maybe then it won’t be feared as much and we can embrace it. 
    Absolutely sue090967! Think of all the women working with all these awful symptoms unable to talk about it to their employers and workmates. It’s crippling for some women. I feel almost evangelical about talking loudly and at every opportunity now. People need to know what it is, and how it can be for some women. Just being able to read here what everyone else is dealing with has helped me enormously. It’s very encouraging - and such a relief  :)
  • FlorenceFlorence Posts: 1
    Hi all I’ve been struggling with a few symptoms crying and not wanting to leave the house so I went to the doctors and he prescribed anti depressants I’ve been on them 3 weeks now and starting to feel a bit better was wondering if anyone is going through similar situation 
    Florence said:
    Hi all I’ve been struggling with a few symptoms crying and not wanting to leave the house so I went to the doctors and he prescribed anti depressants I’ve been on them 3 weeks now and starting to feel a bit better was wondering if anyone is going through similar situation 
    Hi @Florence Thanks for sharing. It’s a real struggle sometimes isn’t it? I’m so glad you’ve managed to get some help from your GP, and it’s brilliant that you’re beginning to feel a bit better. I certainly understand all about the crying. Sometimes I think I’ll run out of tears, and I cry about ridiculous things, then other days I’m absolutely fine! There are also days I don’t want to see anyone or leave the house, and I’ve heard other ladies saying similar things too. It’s all perfectly normal for menopausal women, but you don’t find that out until you start talking to other women. This forum is great for discovering other women experiencing similar things to you, and it makes you feel so much better to know you’re not on your own!

• Wendyb_harpsWendyb_harps Posts: 3
    Hi Florence, I’m in a similar situation, having just been prescribed anti depressants, but I’m not sure if they are making me feel worse, I’ve only had them a few days but I feel 10 worse than before taking them.  How were they to start with for you?
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Hi Florence, I’m in a similar situation, having just been prescribed anti depressants, but I’m not sure if they are making me feel worse, I’ve only had them a few days but I feel 10 worse than before taking them.  How were they to start with for you?
    Hi Wendy, Just thought I’d check in and see how you’re feeling. It’s another few days on? Any improvement for you? It’s frustrating how long anti depressants take to work! Fingers crossed for good news ♥️ 
  • LellyMLellyM Posts: 5

Well, according to my mum I was going to experience the worst few years of my life. However, luckily (or irritatingly I guess) I seem to be one of the lucky ones. I get hot flushes, night sweats and brain fuzz but basically that is it so far!

Fingers crossed it stays this way,

L

Hi LellyM,

Its good to have you with us!

I’m delighted to hear you aren’t suffering too much! Although flushes and night sweats are a pain, and the brain fog is just SO annoying! I feel like some kind of comic book detective with my notebook to make sure I remember everything I need to!

Fingers crossed for you! 😊

• JaneWJaneW Posts: 1

I was looking forward to it, as I was looking forward to the end of periods!! I did not realise the effect it would have on me, and now I wish I could have my periods back!! I have hot flushes and night sweats, which I was aware of, but did not realise just how bad they could be, and I now seem to go through periods when nearly everything I eat gives me chronic heartburn. Seems to me that all my favourite foods, such as pork pie and cornish pasties (when on holiday) I can no longer eat as the pastry can give me chronic heartburn. If I had known this a few years ago I would of made sure I would of eaten more!! I have also had to have referrals to consultants as I have been getting a lot of UTI's and feeling uncomfortable (slight throbbing down below) over the last year and a half, but nothing could be confirmed, and I felt I just had to live with it. Luckily though I thought I would try a lubrication to see if it helped with the uncomfortableness, and with my sex life, and yes, it has worked, and i actually feel normal in this area again, which makes me feel a lot happier!!

My advice would be to enjoy life, as you never know how the menopause will affect you when you get older, as it seems to affect everybody differently!