Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Perimenopause Advice Needed

sgbabesgbabe Posts: 1

Hi All,

This my first post to the forum as I am looking for some advice. I will be 50 in three months. Over the past year, I have noticed a few changes. My hair is thinning and my periods are very irregular. I haven’t had a period for almost two months but in the six months prior, they were coming every three weeks. Although I exercise almost daily (yoga, weights and line dancing) and eat relatively well, I have noticed feeling more fatigued of late. And although I have only gone up one dress size from my super slim younger days, I do have to make much more of an effort to stay this size. I am also suffering from tennis elbow and de quervein’s in my right thumb.

I haven’t been to my GP to discus these changes and am wondering if it’s something worth doing. If so, what should I be asking for?

I have read a few articles on this forum and was thinking of trying the magnesium and B6 supplements. But wondering if it would be better to see the GP first to maybe get my hormones tested to see what I am lacking before I start taking anything.

Any advice would be welcomed, thank you.

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 365 Community Admin

Hi @sgbabe,

First of all, a massive welcome to you! 💕

Reading your words, it does seem to me that what you're facing is indeed the menopause fairy! Actually, feeling fatigued and having irregular periods are both among the first and most common signs of perimenopause. It's natural - as your hormone levels start to change, you might have fewer or more frequent periods, or even spotting between periods. They may last longer or become more heavy too.

It's good to hear you exercise a lot and eat well! Have you tried an energising balm yet? A lavender one might be a good idea, it can often help with fatigue, insomnia and stress too. My mum has a rollerball version and she just loves it. :)

Oh yes, I do take iron and B6 myself to combat tiredness (I'm always exhausted, although in my case it's a side effect of the medication I'm taking). Not sure if it's helping though as I only started 2 weeks ago. :)

And unfortunately, hormonal changes (the loss of oestrogen in your body) can cause changes to the texture and thickness of your hair too. What shampoo / conditioner do you use? Choosing something natural & organic might be worth it as drugstore products usually have lots of chemicals. Essential oils could also help, some of the ladies here use argan oil in particular. Do you regularly colour your hair? :)

To answer your question, it's definitely a good idea to see your GP and get tested to make sure it is the menopause and that you have a better idea on what can help you personally, as the menopause is so unique - what might work for someone, might not work for you and vice versa.

I also found a couple of good articles with lots of info if you're up for reading - or you might have already read some, hehe:

This article is about spotting the signs of perimenopause and is full of good tips on what can help: https://menopause.livebetterwith.com/blogs/stories-info/perimenopause-how-to-spot-the-signs-and-symptoms-and-what-to-do-about-them

This one has lots of products recommended by our community to try for menopausal, brittle hair: https://menopause.livebetterwith.com/blogs/stories-info/changes-to-your-hair-pre-menopause

This is our Beginner's Guide to Menopause Supplements, with an A-Z list of symptoms and what can help: https://menopause.livebetterwith.com/blogs/stories-info/menopause-supplements-a-beginner-s-guide

And finally, we have the lovely @Nicki_Williams on our forum who can answer your questions about supplements & nutritional support during the menopause. :) https://community.livebetterwith.com/menopause/discussion/350/award-winning-nutrionist-menopause-nutrition-expert-nicki-williams-ask-the-expert#latest

Hope some of these help and sorry for the long post!

Keep me updated xx

Blanka x