Any tips for keeping engaged at work whilst dealing with menopause symptoms?

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to concentrate...I would really love to hear what has helped keep your mind on work (or explain why it isn’t!)

Thanks
Alexander

Comments

• JuJu23JuJu23 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Hi 
    lack of sleep at night affects me during the day - after recent surgical menopause I saw a nutritionist who suggested eating something (healthy ..not sugar!) every 3 hours to regulate blood sugars - I don’t always manage that or remember but when I do it helps ...
  • AppleshapedAppleshaped Posts: 7
    I find I work best in afternoon and early evening.  Avoid early meetings if possible.
  • GillH123GillH123 Posts: 1

I would welcome any tips to help with how women cope at work. Sometimes I am in a meeting and I feel as if I lose track of time and I dread being asked a question! It’s the dizziness and light headed ness I am struggling with the most at the moment there’s times I feel as if I could Topple over

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 138 mod

Morning ladies.

I think the first step is to explain to co-workers how you feel and what you are going through so that when you need that 15 mins downtime they will understand and not accuse you of slacking.

During this stage of life it is really important to get that downtime and reprogram your mind to be able to continue to work at the best of your ability.

The second step is don't best yourself up if you are not coping.

I have taken up crochet. I love it. It gives me something to concentrate on and it's relaxing and calms me down. I take it to work with me and when I'm struggling to stay on track I walk away from my desk and do a couple of lines of it, I then feel more able to go back to my desk and carry on. I am lucky as I have full support of my co-workers which I know not everyone will have.

Colouring is another way to focus the mind. Go for a walk around the grounds of where you work. Anything you need to do to refocus.

Mindfulness is very good. Upload it on to your phone stick your earphones in and listen to a 10 minute app.

We have to protect our mental health at this stage in life and you just need to find a way to do this

It's amazing what a tiny change can make to the way you feel and cope on a daily basis. X

• wattoo1971wattoo1971 Posts: 18

I am glad I am not alone. On patches and had a coil fitted but I have no interest in anything. Struggling to keep up with workload and I have applied for a new job but I have not had the motivation to prepare for it. So tired too so just kicking myself up the bum to try and get through tomorrow’s interview and get ready for a no.

Does anyone else feel like they need to have a radical change?

• KazKaz Posts: 461 mod

Hello @wattoo1971

Nice to see you again! I've wondered a few times how you're doing.

I'm sorry that you still seem to be having problems.

My sister has been going through a similar experience to you, and has been doing the staggered return to work that you did a while ago (I hope my memory is right!). She's finding it hard too - and she commented last week that all she wants to do is find something completely different to do.

I get that - I had plenty of times along the way when I wanted to get in the car and drive. No idea where to - I just wanted to get away from the misery and the symptoms and feeling rubbish all the time. So - you're not alone.

I want to tell you that it does get better though. I'm 8 months on patches and the difference for me is night and day. I've had a couple of adjustments, and there are still some tricky days, but on the whole I feel good.

Where are you with the patches and coil? How long have you been on them now? Have you had a recent review? (I know - always loads of questions!) I just wonder if you haven't quite got the strength/combination right yet? Or perhaps you need to try a different formulation. HRT is so individual for each woman - sometimes it can take a while to find the right one for you. So if you're still feeling rubbish, and tired and fed up - I'd be inclined to be asking the GP for a review.

If you feel that your GP isn't able to help, ask for a referral to a Menopause Clinic. They're the experts in HRT and menopause related issues, and they should be able to get to the bottom of why you still feel the way you do. If there isn't one in your area, or distance is an issue for you, you can ask for an appointment by Skype (or similar)

Here's the link to find the clinics - there are NHS and private

Good luck for tomorrow. Try and have an early night tonight in preparation for your interview. Do the best you can in the circumstances. You may surprise yourself! Think positive!

Hopefully with a review of your HRT you'll start to feel better, and things will start to turn around

• MargeSimp67MargeSimp67 Posts: 5

I am coming to the end of my coil and ive had the hrt since may. Initially ok and hot flushes gone but im feeling peculiar again. Im going to see a private menopause nurse. Drs not really sure and keeps refering so would rather hear from horses mouth.

I feel spaced out and very sensitive in boobs and my calves feel heavy.

Fed up and must get to bottom of it.

X

• KazKaz Posts: 461 mod

Hi @MargeSimp67

I’ve replied on your new discussion thread.

Hope you get to the bottom of it all!

K