Sea buckthorn capsules for vaginal atrophy

Hi, I am 62 years old and suffer with vaginal atrophy. A month ago I started taking Plantapol Omega 7 Sea buckthorn capsules, one twice a day. I live in Spain and these were recommended by the pharmacist. The vaginal atrophy is much better, my skin and hair look much better the only thing that seems "bad" about taking the capsules is my hot flushes have returned! I wondered if anyone else had suffered the same results on Omega 7? Maybe I need to change the dose or brand? The capsules contain (translated from Spanish) Sunflower oil 700 mg, Sea buckthorn  300 mg (which provides 198 mg of Palmitoleic Acid O7) Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to stop taking them now I've got my "mojo" back!

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 482 mod

Hello @Genejeanie13

Welcome to the forum!

I took another brand of Sea Buckthorn Omega 7 for a while, but it coincided with the start of HRT patches, so I've never been able to decide whether I thought it worked or not!

It's really frustrating for you to feel as if it's working, but have the return of the flushes alongside it! I wonder if there's anything different in your diet or circumstances, other than the sea buckthorn that may have triggered the flushes again?

I found that when my husband was home recently (he works away), I enjoyed having a glass of wine in the evening with him. My flushes, which have been under control for the last 8 months or so, returned with a vengeance. He has gone back to work, and my flushes have disappeared again. That sounds as if I'm blaming my husband for the flushes 😂 - and I'm not, but it's amazing to think the change in my daily habits, with the addition of alcohol, had such a significant impact. The same can happen with spicy foods, caffeine (I've cut out my evening mugs of tea and coffee), stress, anxiety etc. I wonder if any of that rings a bell for you?

I'm glad you're finding the Omega 7 is helping with Vaginal Atrophy. That can be so debilitating - and it can be embarrassing to talk about. I always recommend a book by Jane Lewis - I think every woman (and GP) should read this. it's full of really helpful information, and really helped me get on top of some horrible symptoms.Perhaps you'd find it helpful?

Hope you get some relief soon!

• Genejeanie13Genejeanie13 Posts: 3

Hi Kaz, thanks for your reply. Yes, like yourself I enjoy the odd glass of wine so that could well be it. I do drink far too much coffee, I must try cutting down on that too. I'll buy the Jane Lewis book too, think it is going to be a good read! Thank you for your help.