HRT

Hi I've been through my doctor regarding the menopause I would have HRT patches a few years ago that my nurse put me on which helped I then went back to my doctor to get a repeat prescription and he took me straight off them and has said no because I'm a migraine sufferer is this true that I cannot take HRT my doctor a lady Doctor who I've just been to see has said she needs to speak to the gynaecologist at my local hospital in Northampton to see if I can go onto HRT thank you laura

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 461 mod
    edited August 1
    Hello @Laura1966 ;

Oh Laura! 

This makes me very cross to read! I was refused HRT for a very long time because I suffer with migraines. My menopause started after a hysterectomy when I was 34. I was 50 this year, and finally got given HRT patches just 8 months ago. 

If I had been aware that migraine sufferers CAN have HRT as long as it's delivered transdermally - via the skin in patch or gel form, I would have fought much harder to get the help I needed.

In fact, ironically, after being refused HRT because of the migraines, since being on HRT, my migraines have significantly reduced!

See the attached fact sheet from Dr Louise Newson, one of the leading menopause experts in the UK. I would suggest perhaps printing it off and taking it back to your GP with you.

You absolutely CAN have HRT in patch form, or as a gel - and I would be heading back to my GP as quick as I could!

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/migraine-and-menopause-fact-sheet

Let me know how you get on.
  • Laura1966Laura1966 Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for this I will be showing this to my doctor I just can't believe that they say just because you suffer with migraines that you can't have HRT there's nothing for you because HRT can increase your risk of a stroke it's hard enough f2 living with migraines then having to go through the menopause I had a migraine the other weekend and I don't know how many hot flushes come on even more with the migraine I really thought my head was going to explode with the hot sweats thank you for this help much appreciated love Laura
  • KazKaz Posts: 461 mod
    I know exactly what you mean! I really hope this helps you get the treatment you need 😊