Forgetfullness

Hello Forum

I haven't had a period for over a year now and I am 50yrs old, and my dr told me that I had to wait a year before medication!

I have every single symptom going at the moment and the worst one is my memory. Have you any advise on how I can improve this as I am a clutterbrain at the moment.

Thanx for all of you help in advance.

Lelly07

Tagged:

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 461 mod

Hello @Lelly07 ,

Welcome ! It's nice to see you here.

If your doctor is talking about HRT, then the information is incorrect. If you are displaying symptoms of peri/menopause, you do not need to wait a year for medication. How frustrating for you. Please see the factsheet attached for up to date information. I would go back and have another conversation , perhaps with a different GP in the practice?

As for the forgetfulness. I'm a clutterbrain too! There were times I thought I may be showing the early signs of dementia. It runs in the family! When I began forgetting words, and finding things like the kettle in the fridge, I began to get frightened. I relaxed when I discovered that it was another sign of the menopause, and these days I try to relax and have a giggle when I forget things or do daft stuff. That said, I do keep a notebook with me to write the things I definitely don't want to forget - but I don't worry so much about it now. 😊

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 138 mod

Hi @Lelly07

Welcome. As Kaz has already said you need to go back to your GP. The NHS says you are not menopausal until you haven't had a period for a year but you can be peri and still having regular periods.

As for the memory I have had to learn to embrace it . I will make you laugh though. I work for the NHS and I was recently speaking to a patient regarding eczema and how to correctly apply creams and instead of saying to them you have to rub the cream in one direction the same as the follicles I told them they had to rub it in the same direction as the fur.. for the life of me I couldn't remember the word hair.. they looked at me like I was mad 😂 it happens on a daily basis now so I have to just laugh. You are definitely not alone :)

• Lelly07Lelly07 Posts: 2

Thank you Kaz and Julie20

I actually have an appt. withthe dr on Monday, so will talk to him then about it. Thanx again ladies.

Perfect. Let us know how you get on and don't be fobbed off X

• Raine4Raine4 Posts: 2

Hi Lelly07

I’m completely with you here! Memory loss, words muddled, I walk into rooms completely forgetting what I went in there for, tried to put the kettle in the fridge instead of the milk etc 😂

I work with women and we all think it’s hilarious as we are all having similar problems. Make lists and laugh at it! Take care 😊

Very good idea to write notes for everything. Although at work I write lists down then throw them away lol

• HugojackHugojack Posts: 2
    Dementia is a disease of memory loss and people of age in between 60-80's mostly face this disease. I remembered a few days ago, my granny who is 75 years old also suffering from dementia disease wanted to someone to share her feeling with, and thus my dad decided to contact with elder care lawyers for personal assistants who give advice to senior citizens regarding the future planning about assets.

If anybody wants advice on dementia live better with now also have a dementia forum. X