Does vitamins help or is HRT the way to deal with symptoms of menopause?

Hi i have terrible mood swings joint pain and increased anxiety..for long enough i thought it my job..(im a nurse) but increasing coming to see it could be the menopause cause i also have no periods..i have been to doctors and have haf bloods done still waiting on results just wondering is hrt the way to go or vitamins my mood is so low at times and the mood swings scary any help would be appreciated

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 461 mod

Hello @Joleymc36

Welcome!

That's a really good question - but really hard to answer!

Every woman experiences the menopause differently, so it's hard to say one way or the other.

I've done both ways. For a long time, I wasn't allowed HRT because of migraines, so I tried all sorts of supplements and herbal remedies. Some of them worked, and some of them didn't. I've also tried all sorts of gadgets and gizmos to help cope with symptoms - magnets in my knickers, magnets in bracelets, cooling pillows, mindfulness apps, aromatherapy, reiki, silk pillow cases, cooling water sprays, breathable fabrics, anti depressants, electric fans blowing a gale through my bedroom. I’ve had a go at a lot of things to bring relief from the worst of the symptoms. Like the supplements, some things worked, and some things didn’t, but the important thing was taking control and being open to finding what worked for me, and being as positive as you can be whilst coping with some horrible symptoms!

I'm now six months into HRT patches, and up until this last week, it's been brilliant. I need to go and have a discussion with my GP because a few of my symptoms are beginning to creep back. That's OK though - it can take a while to get the dose right.

I think it would be good to have a discussion with your GP if you're thinking about HRT. It's best to do a bit of reading before you go so that you're armed with knowledge and can have an informed discussion with them. The important thing is that you choose what's right for you, whether that's HRT or a more natural route. Either, or a combination of the two is fine! There are lots of things out there to help you.😊