New to forum

Hi, just joined this forum. I was given a chemical menopause just over 2 years ago as part of treatment for breast cancer. My problem is staying asleep - I can always sleep straightaway as I’m exhausted, but then I wake up ( sometimes flushing but not always) up to every hour until 4 or 5, then impossible. I’m sort of learning to live with it but would love to know if anyone has ideas. I can’t take HRT due to cancer type and drugs. My memory is also shocking now, sort of impacting on work although my team are very supportive. Used to feel invincible, now just a bit pathetic...

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 400 mod

Hello @LizzyB

Welcome!

Far from being pathetic - you’re a warrior! You’ve been through a huge amount, and of course, it will all have an impact.

I’ve also had awful problems with sleep. Getting to sleep, staying asleep, coping when I’ve had no sleep.... I use mindfulness apps. There are lots around, but the one I love, and the one that’s had the biggest impact for me, is the Clarity app by one of our forum experts @Becks_Armstrong .

I use it to help me get to sleep, and if I wake up during the night, I pop it back on and I now quickly drop off again. It also has an Instacool button to help when you have a hot flush - and although I was sceptical, I found this helped too. It’s not an instant fix. You do have to be prepared to practice a bit with it, and I did feel a bit daft and self conscious, but I’m over that now because I get a decent sleep, and that helps me cope with everything else going on! It’s drug free - so perfect for your circumstances.

My memory isn’t what it used to be, and I use my phone and a notebook to help me remember what I need to! It doesn’t always work - but I’m getting more relaxed about it all now!

Hope this helps you! 😊

Checkout Clarity - the first mindfulness app designed for women, made by women

https://clarity.app/

• Becks_ArmstrongBecks_Armstrong Posts: 27 Menopause Mindfulness Expert

Hi @LizzyB, that sounds tough. The lovely @Kaz is right with trying to use some mindfulness - either a voice or a sound that might be able to help you go back to sleep. You could try doing a few long slow breaths in and out your nose, focus on your breathing and where the breath moves your body. If you're finding that's not working then there are a couple of ways you can try to "trick" your mind into going back to sleep.

Most importantly get rid of any light or clock to try and break the habit you may have accidentally created for yourself. Looking at a clock can get you into a "oh no!" type response and sleep will allude you. Try instead to go to the loo if you need to and/or give yourself good sleeping affirmations that remind you that you're a great sleeper. If your alarm is not going it's not time to wake. Talk to yourself like you're invincible again - you deserve it and you are.

Some of the issues that can arise in the night you can try and prevent before you go to sleep (which may sound weird) for instance, if your head is buzzing when you wake then try writing anything down what's in your head before you go to sleep - finish it off with a couple of things you're grateful for, and see if that helps stop you waking altogether.

Give these a try and let @Kaz and I know how you get on. If there's something specific that's going on in your head let us know and we will see if we can help you.

Good luck! I wish you the very best of sleep.

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity

Check out the Clarity app on iTunes & Google Play