So relieved that I’ve found this site........

Hello everyone, I’ve just found this site today and it’s such a relief to know that I’m not alone. I am 49 years old and have been struggling for a while, mostly feeling a little bit lower each month with thoughts running away with me and fighting in my head with everyone. A few weeks ago I started thinking I was loosing my mind, I felt so low I wanted to walk out of my job as the smallest task seems like a mountain, I wanted to tell my friends where to go (the rage bubbling inside of me was unreal) and worst of all, I was really nasty to my husband who is my total rock in life. I’ve been taking citalopram for some years (20mg a day) to help with my hormones but this weekend I’ve increased the dose to 25mg as I was in tears yesterday in the hairdressers of all places! I hope the increase will help me to start coping better, I’ve also got an appointment this week with my doctor to discuss HRT. Does anyone know if there are blood tests available to check hormone levels?

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 438 mod

Hello @Thisisme70

You are so very welcome to the forum! It's such a relief isn't it? Finding other women that understand what's happening to you!

That was the biggest thing for me - finally feeling as if I wasn't on my own with this menopause "thing" anymore!

I recognise myself in everything you describe. It's hard - but you can get through it.

I'm so glad you have an appointment to speak to your GP. Yes - there are blood tests available to check your hormone levels, but they're generally felt to be unhelpful because at this stage of our lives, hormone levels fluctuate so greatly. (I had four lots of blood tests - all with different results!). That said, if you are over 45 (and you are!) and displaying menopause symptoms, GPs no longer need to run blood tests before they prescribe HRT treatment.

I struggled with symptoms for a very long time. Around four months ago, I finally persuaded a GP to prescribe patches, and the difference is enormous.

Please be as open as you can with your GP, and be prepared to ask for the help that you need.

And come back and talk to us anytime you like! I'd love to hear how you get on 😊