› ›

Will HRT help?

IssyQIssyQ Posts: 7 ✭

Hi ladies

I am menopausal not had a perod for at least 18 months and have a list of symptoms getting worse by the day. Dryness making intercourse painful for the last 2 years, vaginal cream and pessaries have very little affect. And no sex drive!

Low mood and brain fog making me loose my confidence at work...hard to concentrate and making silly mistakes.

Oversensitive and irritable, I even snapped at my boss today! Not good!

I am discussing HRT with my GP and thinking of the patches. But will they help with all these symptoms?

Any thoughts from your own experience.

Luckily no hot sweats I had some at night for a bit but didnt last long.

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 466 mod

Hello @IssyQ ,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your question - and WHAT a question!

The choice whether to take HRT is a very personal one. Every woman's experience of the menopause is different, and there are no right or wrong ways when it comes to deciding how you want to manage your symptoms.

I can tell you from my experience that I dealt with symptoms very similar to yours for nearly 14 years. I used supplements, diet, and exercise amongst other things with varying degrees of success. Around four months ago I finally managed to persuade my GP to prescribe patches. The difference, for me, has been night and day. Flushes are now minimal, mood is better, I have more energy, libido has improved and I've been able to drop the vaginal cream. I am also sleeping at last - and that on its own is the biggest change. Now that I'm finally getting a decent night's sleep, with fewer loo stops, I can cope with pretty much everything else!

I think it's important to remember that HRT isn't an instant fix. It can take a while to get the level right for you, so you do need to be prepared to tweak things a bit if necessary, and there can be some side effects until the hormone levels settle down. Some women can think that these side effects mean the HRT isn't working. I certainly had sore boobs, bloating and PMS-like symptoms, but these symptoms only lasted a few weeks.

I do think it's worth having a discussion with your GP.

I've attached a factsheet which I found helpful - I hope you find something that works for you! 😊

• Nursesally91Nursesally91 Posts: 16 ✭

Hiya, I also had ALL your symptoms and the sweats but I went threw surgical menopause and the symptoms were horrendous & very abrupt and I can honestly say 3-4 months on HRT patches as given me my life back and get very little symptoms now although remain to have very low libido but there’s no miracle cure for that lol!!! Just put that down to tiredness after long days at work and demanding young adult children.

I also take Magnesium/B6 & Sage tablets which have also helped I feel as I did try increasing HRT patch to 75mg but they made me very dizzy.

Hope this useful

• IssyQIssyQ Posts: 7 ✭

Kaz and NurseSally

Thank you for your very valuable insights. I am definately for the patches if approved.

Just waiting on results of 24 ECG monitor due to palpitations and a precaution. Probably another symptom of the menopause😊

Looking forward to feeling myself again x

• Nursesally91Nursesally91 Posts: 16 ✭

Definitely another symptom of menopause as that as also resolved. Your heart is run by hormones

Hi All

I got my 24 hr ECG monitor results back and it noted a couple of ectopic heart beats but nothing of concern.

The GP has referred me to a Gynaecologist to discuss HRT and my risk factors. Mainly because I have border line blood pressure and raised cholesterol which I have managed to rwduce naturally in the last year.

Feeling a bit deflated today as not sure how long it will take to get the appointment and worried that the consultant may try and deter me from HRT. Obviously my health comes first but I really want to give HRT a go.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

edited May 14

Hello again,

OH ! I can totally understand why you would feel a bit deflated - but try not to be!

It's great that you've been referred to a gynaecologist. It shows that your GP is taking your symptoms seriously. That's a positive!

Whilst you're waiting, try and arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can, so that you can have an informed discussion with the doctor. Write your symptoms down, think about what you want from your appointment. If HRT is your goal, don't be afraid to ask for it! And don't be afraid to challenge the doctor if you don't seem to be getting the treatment that you feel you need.

Last year, I was also told my cholesterol was too high, I'm overweight (true 😔) and on the day I went to get my HRT, my blood pressure was through the roof! I sat in the surgery and wept because I was terrified that after getting so close, I would be refused because my blood pressure was reacting to all my surroundings. Is it "white coat syndrome" they call it - blood pressure rises because you're in the doctors surgery? Anyway - I got the all clear, and four months later, patches onboard, I am a stone and a half lighter, cholesterol is lower, blood pressure is completely normal. I feel that everything has changed because of the HRT - my stress levels are down, I'm now NOT medicating with wine and snacks, so of course, my weight is down too!

You're taking steps to reduce your cholesterol - so that's great!

Please try and stay positive. Of course your health comes first - and that's exactly what you are trying to achieve by asking for HRT! 😊

Hi Kaz

Thank you for this I really appreciate it and have already started my list of symptoms in preparation.

I just hope the appointment doesn't take long to come through!

Again thank you it's good to know your not alone and I am so pleased HRT is working for you.

Best wishes

You're so welcome! It's horrible to feel as if noone understands.

Let us know how you get on - hope it won't be too long to get your appointment 😊

I will do.

Its me again just as I thought Menopause was in full swing I suddenly get a period! Its been at least 18 months since my last one.

It explains the twinges in my right ovary, the swollen and painful breasts and irritability.

I guess the 12 months without a period = menopause is just a guideline?

The bleeding is heavy just as I used to get so pretty sure its nothing else.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Hi @IssyQ

Oh how frustrating!!! But it does happen! Hormones are all over the place right now. My sixteen year old son calls it puberty in reverse - and I guess that's pretty close!

Keep your appointment though. And keep on writing your list! Up until yesterday my sister thought that if she was still having periods that she couldn't talk to her GP about getting HRT treatment, and she's now gutted that she's been putting up with symptoms for nearly 5 years waiting for her periods to stop so she can get help!

You know where we are if you need to vent before then! ♥️