Struggling with Day to Day

I have been perimenopausal from age 42, I am now 49. My anxiety levels fluctuate constantly and sometimes, like this week it has become worse. I’m struggling with work and I am taking everything personally. I started HRT and whilst it has helped with sweats, I cannot seem to stay rational. I feel like I’m on a rollercoaster of emotions. I try to tell others but they don’t want to know or say their mums went through it without any complaints. That just makes me feel like a fraud and actually increases my anxiety. Any advice would be welcome. And I am trying

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 461 mod
    edited May 9

Hello @Ray1206

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm sorry you are feeling anxious. It's exhausting isn't it? A lot of us will appreciate exactly where you are coming from, and have experienced similar. I certainly have. I don't doubt for a second that you are trying your very best.

Your description is so vivid - fluctuationing hormone levels at this time of our lives certainly causes a rollercoaster of emotions. For the women who say their mothers never complained, or they haven't experienced anything like it, that's great for them! Our Mums probably had no idea what was happening to them, and nowhere to get help. If other women are lucky enough to get through the menopause without some of the more debilitating symptoms, including anxiety, then that's also brilliant for them. It does NOT mean that your experience of the menopause, and the symptoms that you are dealing with on a daily basis are to be diminished or dismissed. Your experience of the menopause is personal to you. Your feelings are valid and you are certainly not a fraud!

There are things that you can do to help. I don't know how long you've been on HRT. It may be time to have a chat with your GP about an adjustment to your HRT treatment. There are also other medications they can prescribe to help.I would really recommend that you speak to your GP. Don't be afraid to go back and let them know how you're feeling and what you're coping with. They can't help you if they don't know there's a problem!

I take a supplement called 5htp in addition to my HRT to help with low mood and anxiety (please note that you can't take this if you are taking any anti depressant treatment). I find this helps me to keep on top of my symptoms along with the use of a mindfulness app which helps me to take a breather and calm my anxious mind. I like that this is a drug free option - but if I needed to take medication to keep me on track, then I'd happily do that too. I also use the app to help me sleep - and this in itself has helped with my anxiety levels. Everything is much easier to cope with if you've had a decent sleep!

Some women take low-dose anti depressant treatments to stay on top of the anxiety, and there are other medications that can help too. There are also lots of other things you could choose to try including exercise, meditation, herbal teas, supplements, aromatherapy.

There are options for you - that's the main thing to understand. Medication or a more natural route is a personal choice, and either or both ways is absolutely fine. Your body. Your choice!

I hope you can find something to help, and if you need to chat, we're always here! 😊

• Ray1206Ray1206 Posts: 2

This is just so helpful thank you. It is just reassuring to know I’m not alone.

• KazKaz Posts: 461 mod

It's so hard when you feel as if you're out there on your own. But you're definitely not, and the forum is invaluable for exactly that reason. 😊

I've found it so helpful to see what other women are dealing with. It helps to keep everything in perspective, and there are lots of hints and tips you can pick up and help you manage your symptoms.

• Bubbspebbs1Bubbspebbs1 Posts: 1

Hi is it normal to have aches and pains everywhere all my joint are aching ? Thanks