Hello fellow sufferers!

Hello! My name is Nancy (Nan) and I am a 38 year-old momma of a pretty amazing four year old and wife to another pretty amazing 44 year old :-)

I had to have a complete hysterectomy about a year-and-a-half ago because of severe endometriosis. I was in so much pain that it made it hard to walk and literally never went away. So when I visited my doctor he told me that a complete hysterectomy would probably be my best course of action. But I have to say that was not an easy decision for my husband and I. We tried for 12 years and finally had our son but then not long after I had to have a surgery that would make it impossible to naturally have any more children.

After the surgery I felt 100% better but now after discontinuing my HRT for roughly two and a half months now I am definitely feeling menopause in all it's wonderfulness. I don't really have a big problem with hot flashes but am having a little bit of an issue with perpetual warmness. Mood swings are a killer! I've already had anxiety for years and am on medication for it so that is actually not as bad as I've experienced in just regular life. Definitely experiencing a lot of "space cadet syndrome" as I like to call it. Half the time I feel like my head is in outer space LOL Definitely making my full-time job as well as my full-time job as a mom a lot more interesting!

I'm very excited to be joining a group where I can get some tips as well as have friends that know what I'm talking about! So hello fellow sisters!

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 482 mod
    edited March 30

Hello @Nan!

It's so lovely to have you with us on the forum!

Thanks for sharing your story! I, for one, love getting to know where everyone comes from and what they are dealing with.

I was like you, and had a hysterectomy at 34 years old. The decision to do that at such an early age is so emotional, and so horribly difficult. It makes you take decisions that you perhaps would never have anticipated, and like you, the fact that I was no longer able to have any more children made me so sad for a very long time - even though I knew that the surgery was the only way I would feel better! It kind of turns your world upside down doesn't it? I'm so glad you have you husband and your fabulous little boy supporting you. I'm also so pleased that you no longer have the pain of endometriosis!

I love your description of space cadet syndrome. That's SO funny and completely accurate. It did make me smile! I compare it to feeling as if I'm under water, so I get what you mean 😂

May I ask why you discontinued with HRT? Was it a personal choice? For medical reasons? Or suggested by a medical practitioner?

I hope you've had a good rummage around the forum. There are lots of tips and hints to help you through the menopause. Ask any questions you like too. If we don't have an answer for you, we can try to point you in the right direction! ↔️ ➡️⬇️↘️

The main thing, is that we get to speak to other women in similar situations, and it's great for helping you to feel less like you're fighting this thing on your own!

Welcome! 😊😊

• Nursesally91Nursesally91 Posts: 16

I had a total hysterectomy 12 months ago for exactly same reason as yourself NaN but I’m currently on HRT but my problem I’m having is maintaining correct doseage. It’s been life changing having total hysterectomy at 47 but I have no regrets apart from nobody ever prepares you for the after math of of hormone shock I call it. I have terrible brain fog & dizziness , palpitations, I’ve gained 8lb in weight and that’s on weight watchers that I stick 2 and going up gym 4 times a week.

I would like to try herbal treatment but there’s that much out there is knowing which is the right one I guess.

• NanNan Posts: 9

Hi ladies! Well first of all I stopped hrt on my own mainly because the weight gain had been horrible on it! I am struggling so bad with being the weight I am. The hrt made me feel "off" also. I'm excited to get some helpful tips from you lovely ladies here!

Yes the dizziness and brain fog is very much a life downer. I'm so sad to hear you're having so many issues nursesally91. It is a life changer being in full blown menapause at such an early age but I feel discontinuing the hrt is a good decision for me. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves and that's the one I feel is better for me 🙂

And yes I also would like to start something natural to help but the choices are overwhelming to say the least and being on anxiety meds makes it more complicated also. Hopefully we can find smart works best for us! I'll let you know what I try and how it works 😊

• KazKaz Posts: 482 mod

Hello @Nan ,

You're absolutely right! The decisions we make for ourselves through menopause are entirely that - ours to make! It's so important that we feel we have some control over this period of our life - and I love that you sound so positive, because that helps enormously!

I think your questions would be perfect for any of our resident Menopause Experts, because you are right, the choices we face are overwhelming. These ladies helped me make sense of what was happening to me, and I'm sure they have lots to offer you too. @Nicki_Williams , @Maryon_Stewart , @The_Menopause_Chef and @Becks_Armstrong They have all helped me with lots of helpful tips and information , and between them, they have so much expertise to share.

Head to the front page of the forum to find the discussions they are hosting. 😊

• NanNan Posts: 9

Awesome! Thanks so much Kaz! 😁