Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Help

Poppypop37Poppypop37 Posts: 6

Hi I'm hoping someone can guide me as I'm at my wits end. I am currently working in Dubai with full on menopause, summer will soon be on its way (50 degrees). Medication is still frowned upon here (a mans country) some HRT medications are available here but its not stocked up. I have very little choice as Femoston hasn't been available now for over 2 years. Can someone please guide me to alternative medications.

Thanks

Poppy

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hi Poppy,

Welcome to the forum.

Oh. I feel for you! When I first went into menopause, I was living in Saudi Arabia, and the heat was unbearable!

I'm finally on HRT, and that's great, but I've only just been able to start that. In the years running up to that I've tried lots of supplements, but the best results came from a supplement called Nutrition FX. It's a phytoestrogen made from mung beans. Just search for Nutrition FX, and it should be easy to find. It's available to buy internationally, but it is quite expensive. I guess all supplements are really - and I should know. I've spent a fortune on them all over the years! They also do a multivitamin which I really liked.

Of course there are also lots of other options, and it's always hard to recommend something because what works for one person might not necessarily work for you. I also tried black cohosh, sage, red clover, wild yam, amongst many others, all with varying degrees of success.

Dubai is a beautiful place. I hope you find something that works for you to let you enjoy it fully!

😊

• Poppypop37Poppypop37 Posts: 6

Thank you for your reply Kaz. I will try if I can buy Nutrition FX here or get it shipped. If you've worked in Saudi then you know how difficult it is to get anything shipped or brought in. I was very very tempted to smuggle the legal (in the uk) CBD Oil in but do not really fancy bread and water for the next 10 years. I'm taking magnesium for interrupted sleep which has been amazing, works wonders. My main concern is how I will get through another 6 months summer here with hot flushes. Even with my office AC set at 19 degrees I'm soaked through most of the day. Over a period of 10 months I must have tried & wasted hundreds of dirhams on supplements.

I have even considered resigning so I can return to the UK where I can get HRT without any problems. I have been working here 6 years now but cannot keep wasting money on airfares to home for HRT. 😓

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    edited March 2019

I really hope they ship it there. It's frustrating trying all sorts and not getting the results you hope for. If supplements didn't work I always wondered that I didn't give them enough time to work, or if I was taking the right dosage. Magnesium helped me to sleep, and also helped with stiff joints. I still take 5HTP to help with mood and anxiety. That's worked really well. I've had menopausal symptoms for nearly 15 years, so I dread to think how much money I've wasted trying to get something that worked. If you can't take HRT, or can't get it like you, you're kind of out there on your own trying to do the best you can to get through. When you throw in a curve ball like the heat and humidity of the place you're living, I can imagine you just get to the end of your tether with it all. I remember the stress of travelling through those airports and having innocent things (kids dvds etc) confiscated, so I can imagine how hard it is to try and get supplements through. It just wouldn't be worth the grief of trying to explain! It would be more bearable if you knew how long you'd have to deal with symptoms. At least if you knew things were time limited, you could make a choice about whether to hang in there or make a change. Please let me know how you get on, and if delivery is going to be a problem, perhaps we can scratch heads together and see what other options might be available for you 😊

• sheilaesheilae Posts: 27 mod

Hi Poppy & welcome to this forum! Gosh...all three of us know the Middle East (&their laws!!) it seems...I lived in Bahrain for a number of years so also understand the intense heat you encounter...very uncomfortable & that's before the big Menopause & the problems it can bring! Why not go into your local health store & ask them for some advice?! Again as Kaz has mentioned, there are lots of options out there down the alternative route but all of us are individuals & things work differently for each of us! I found Menopace & black cohosh quite helpful myself?!

I'm sure you know that diet, exercise & plenty of water play a huge part on the menopausal journey too....a glass of wine too many or some late night spicy foods could also play havoc with my sleep pattern....complete restlessness & big-time night sweats so it's helpful to keep tabs on that too!! Magnesium is one I use @ night which seems to definitely improve my amount of sleep! 👍💕

• Poppypop37Poppypop37 Posts: 6

I took bio-identical HRT prepared by the Compounding pharmacy in Dubai. No where in Abu Dhabi does it. Over about 16 months I increased the dose 3 times and it still never made a single difference to my blood tests or how I felt with my symptoms, and it was exorbitantly expensive. But I didn’t like it either, didn’t make me feel that much better and accelerated my hair falling out. In the end I stopped that too. Now i’m just white-knuckling it while I think about a hormone iud or patches - but I don’t know where to get those either here 😣😖 I am seriously wanting to leave here before summer sets in. Pharmacist here a absolutely clueless, and yes it has been said many times, it’s a mans country, they don’t give a dam how the women feels. I have 3 local emirate women as friends, they’re not permitted to take HRT, so us expats are buggered basically.