Hurrah for the Cheer Squads!

KazKaz Posts: 400 mod
edited February 16 in What's on your mind?

I visit a lot of menopause communities in my search for the magic solution to all things menopausal. (I'm still looking!)

On my "travels" I pick up lots of helpful tips and tricks - and as most things in life, some work for me, and some just don't!

Whichever site I visit though, I feel like I'm seeing more and more comments about unsupportive other halfs. The husbands who sleep through the overnight battles with the duvet, the temperature and insomnia. The partners who aren't happy that their one and only seems to have gone off them in the bedroom. Or the people in our lives who have to watch helplessly as we disintigrate into another crying jag, or temper tantrum that we have no control over.

Now I'm certainly not here to defend the unsupportive folk. I know there are always going to be people who will just never attempt to understand! And I hold my hands up to the fact that, in my head at least, I've thought of holding a pillow over my husbands face to stop the noise of his snoring whilst I lie awake next to him, I've screamed at him for no other reason except that he's in the same room with me, and I've flounced off down the corridor to sleep in the living room because I'm in danger of spontaneously combusting if I stay in the bedroom for another second. I'm far from perfect as you've just read!

I just wonder how fair we're all being to the people we share our lives with.

Most of the time, we don't understand ourselves what's happening to us. So, I'm not really sure how we expect our partners in crime or our families to magically know that we're in hormone hell, and that our behaviour is probably linked in part, if not wholly, to the menopause.

So, I understand that we get frustrated and feel the need to vent at or about partners, but maybe we should take a breath and put ourselves in their shoes for a few minutes? It can't be easy living with our menopausal selfs!

Comments

• cosiecosie Posts: 27 ✭✭

@Kaz This is a very fair point! It's so hard to put myself in someone else's shoes but I see what you mean. I think we all wish the level of understanding is a whole lot higher than it is...but equally there is a lot for us to be understanding about too.