Home Menopause Forum What's on your mind?

Feel better

MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 150 mod
edited June 29 in What's on your mind?

What do you do to make yourself feel better? Sometimes my esteem and confidence is low and I have to do things to make me feel better and to feel like a woman sometimes. I like to stand in the mirror sometimes and dance, I take bubble baths and to top it off I will have a glass of wine. Other days, I try to get lost in a book and I write in my journal from time to time that helps me relax when I can say what I want and how I feel in my journal. What I like to do the most but can't always do is go out and get a massage and a pedicure. Love it love it love it. Between working and other life demands I have to learn to relax while dealing with some of the symptoms of menopause. I say it like it is easy and it isn't all the time because I don't always get a chance to do these things but when I can I do it.

I think sometimes we ladies don't take the time to take care of ourselves and nuture ourselves we are so busy taking care of everything and everyone else we sometimes have to stop and take care of "us".

What do you do to make yourself feel special or feel better?

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 320 Community Admin

I just love this! 😍

I recently tried bullet journaling but found it difficult to stick to it on a daily basis, so it's kind of on and off for me. What I love to do, however, is getting creative - I'm so up for anything DIY! Lately I do loads of drawing & illustrations. Finding the time is not easy as you say, but when I do, I feel so much better.

Safe to say though, that my absolute fav is still a mug of hot chocolate, a box of vanilla ice cream and a soft blanket, haha. 😁

Can't wait to hear your tips, Ladies x

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 150 mod

@Blanka_C I just looked up Bullet journaling because I had never heard of it before. It is definitely different not sure I could keep up with it but I like the concept of it. Thanks for sharing. I wish that I could draw but I am not good at that either love to color in my coloring books but can't draw much of anything LOL.

Haha, yes it definitely requires time (which I rarely have 😁). What are you reading at the moment? Perhaps you could share it with our Book Club?

Oh, I wanted to try out colouring books for so long but I honestly just can't decide which to get. Too many to choose from. 😂 Any suggestions?

• Jane20Jane20 Posts: 34 ✭✭

When I need some time to myself just to relax I like to do a bit of gardening (this time of year isn’t great weather wise) but the last couple of dry bright days I’ve managed to get out there, getting all my pots ready for some new plants. Helps when I’m feeling low. I also like to read which takes you away from your thoughts/feelings too. (I’ve anxiety)

one other thing is my daughter (26) and I will buy face masks & foot masks then have a pamper day at home after a lovely bubble bath maybe do our nails too, just another way of feeling good oh and may end the day with chocolate 🍫 and popcorn 🍿 and a film 🎥

xxx

@Jane20 those are really good suggestions, I will have to try some of them out. My husband enjoys gardening. I haven't really done much of it but I hear it is really relaxing maybe I will start to help him. I love to see beautiful flowers and plants in our backyard it is very relaxing.

Good luck with your gardening.

Yes, yes I love books too because it does allow you to escape from your emotions and your world for a little while.

I love the pampering day that sounds like fun especially with adding the chocolate, popcorn and a good movie.

I have attached a couple of pictures of what I bought for my husband for Christmas. He really likes it and thought it was different. He still enjoys the traditional way of gardening but this just puts a different twist on it.

This particular kit has chives, thyme, basil, dill and mint pretty cool. My husband is into a lot of techie stuff so I thought I would add the techie stuff to the garden and it worked out well :).

@Blanka_C Coloring books that is a large topic by itself and so many to choose from LOL. I am very picky with my coloring books. I like the color books that are hard back and have spirals they are a little more sturdy to me then just the regular paperback ones less color bleeding through the paper. You can first start with what you like myself I like flowers, nature and superheros so a lot of books are geared around those things. They have coloring books mostly for anything that you like or have an interest. Amazon carries a lot of coloring books. One of my favorite suppliers is www.colorit.com I like the quality of their books they are made well and so are the pages. They are a little pricey compared to other coloring books but the quality is really good. Another supplier I use is from an artist named Johanna Basford she has a lot of coloring books out as well and I like the quality of her books. Google and youtube and you will find a lot of books out there. You can purchase both of these style coloring books on Amazon.

Some coloring books are very detailed and some are very basic you really would have to decide which is best for you. The more detailed of course books will require the most time. So many coloring books to choose from it can be overwhelming. The other headache is trying to figure out what markers, crayons and/or colored pencils that you are going to use. I have quit a bit in stock I think I am starting to become a hoarder of colored pencils, markers and crayons.

Blanka best of luck :)

@MonicaM

Oh I love that, I’ve never grown anything other than strawberries 🍓 only a few but they were nice, but looking at those herbs it’s something I’ll think about. Oh I’ve got mint in my garden I took a cutting from my mums garden years ago and each year it comes through thicker, and I actually use it.

thanks Monica 🙏

Hi Ladies, thought I'd remind you of this given it's Valentine's - I personally LOVE words of encouragement like this, always make me feel better. Have a fab weekend x

my husband took me for a drive on Valentine’s Day to Whitstable, was fresh but a dry day. Really nice spending time together had something to eat and a lovely stroll along the pebble beach.

@Jane20 that sounds lovely! We're going to Dover this weekend for a post-Valentine's trip (I was sick on the 14th...😫), can't wait. Will take some photos of the beach x

@MonicaM that kit looks mind-blowing, this is the first time I see something like this...😦 I've long thought about getting into gardening (first time in my life, I have a garden actually!), cannot wait for spring time!

I've also just ordered a colouring book, called the 'Enchanted Forest'. Have some doubts, but thought I'd give it a go! 😁 Supposed to arrive tomorrow and planning to put some candles & music on (and maybe a glass of wine...hehe). Will let you know how I get on! x

edited February 18

@Blanka_C

oh how nice hope the weathers dry for you both. Enjoy 😊 x

@Blanka_C I was impressed with the garden thought it was cute. You can get tomatoes, flowers or salad pods they have quit a variety of you every want to try it out.

Yes, the coloring book that you have chosen is pretty popular let me know how you like it. I am excited for you it enjoy it with your wine lol

@Blanka_C

Hi Blanka,

How is the coloring coming along?

• JunieJunie Posts: 50 ✭✭

Monica

the kit looks amazing,

i am not good at gardening, would love to try, can you buy these kits.

junie c

@Junie

Hi Junie,

I ordered the garden from this place. We are now trying to grow peppers and tomatoes, the leaves have grown but haven’t seen the tomatoes and peppers yet.

Hi Monica

I am not good at gardening,

i can’t even keep a houseplant.

but I would love to grow my own veg and herbs.

can you recommend any books please.

let me know when you see a tomato or pepper.

many thanks

junie x

@Junie

Hi Junie,

I am not good at gardening either. I don't have what you call a green thumb, I kill all the plants that I have every tried to grow or keep. I love sunflowers, orchid and bonsai plants. They don't last long under my care LOL. My husband does all the planting and gardening because i am not good at it. Even though he is the one that does it he still likes the Aerogarden because it takes half the work away.

My suggestion would be you could you tube some how to videos and that may help. Also Facebook has gardening groups or maybe check into getting a small Aerogarden to get started and see if you like it.

Hi

oh its not just me that is not a good gardener, nice to know I am not alone.

my husband does all the gardening, I also love sunflowers, he has planted them, and others with weird names.

cant wait for the sunflowers to come out.

will take a picture when they do.

maybe we could all post pictures of what we have grown that would be nice.

Junie x

edited April 17

Oh what a nice idea @Junie! I have just attempted to plant some seeds for the first time in my life recently (better late than ever haha). They are now visible!!!!! Only around 2mm high, but visible. I feel like I can do the entire garden after this 😂 I’ll post a photo tomorrow!

Yeahhhhh congratulations,

i look forward to seeing them.

we are using seeds, nothing to see yet.

well done with your plant

junie xx

Hi @Jane20, long time no speak, I thought I'd ask how you're holding up in the current situation? Look forward to hear from you x

@Blanka_C

hi

yes it has been a while, tbh I was just beginning to feel better in myself and thinking of return to work when the virus hit the country, I began to worry on return work (its a secondary school) long story short then we were told it was lock down. I decided not to go on social media for a bit just because there was so much being said about the virus and you know how much it can get to you.

Anyway I’m doing absolutely fine I’m on anti depressants for the last month my hot sweats are very rare and I’m feeling so much better in myself. Still haven’t started hrt yet.

hope your well too I think we’re all a bit 🥴 at the moment., waiting for things to return to normal which doesn’t look like anytime soon.

thanks for messaging.

stay safe take care xxx

These are the pics from the AeroGarden but the tomatoes or peppers haven’t come out yet.

@Jane20

Glad you are doing better.

I agree with you.

I limit my social media time and news time because it is draining mentally and right now I don’t need all of that negativity. I am fully aware of what is going on but I have to try to stay as positive as I can do that I can move forward.

Amazing, really really good

well done

junie x

@MonicaM

hi,

Thank you.

And yes we’re all aware of what’s going on but it can become to much at times.

stay safe take care xxx