Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Leg cramps

MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 189 mod

Hello, has anyone ever had bad leg cramps at night oh my goodness, I had more than once a bad cramp in my calf it hurt so badly I wanted to cry and it took a very long time for it to go away. I tried to walk it off like I have done in the past for cramps in my feet but no this didn't work. If I tried to stand up and walk it actually made it hurt worse. I couldn't do anything but try to lie back down. I did eventually put some heat on it but it still hurt. The pain lasted for a very long time and then it finally went a way. Just thinking about it now makes my body tense up because it was just that painful to me.

My mom told me to eat a teaspoon of mustard one time I tried it and I really don't know if it worked or not it did stop hurting but I wasn't sure if it was the mustard or it was just the time it was going to stop. Hopefully, it won't happen again so I won't have to test the "mustard" theory out again.

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 335 mod

Hi @MonicaM is it cramps or restless legs you have? Cramps usually happen when your muscles become cold too quickly. Exercise and a hot bath with Epsom salts can sometimes help with this. If it's restless legs, which are really common in menopause I can highly recommend magnesium and putting a bar of soap under your bed sheet. I used to get restless legs every night and it drove me mad but I now take magnesium tablet and have the soap in my bed and touch wood haven't had any problems for about 3 months x

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 189 mod

@Julie20 l will have to look into it because I am my sure bit thank you for the good advice.

@Julie20 I just looked it up, I am not sure if it is restless legs all I know is it is painful Charley horses in my leg and it is hurts badly when it happens, I may try the magnesium. Thanks again.

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 335 mod

It does sound like restless legs. Magnesium has really helped me. I also shuffle my bum up against the wall and put my legs up the wall for 10 minutes when they are bad. This also helps circulation and helps with the pain x

@Julie20 thank you, I am going to have to try that and see what happens

• Mamabear563Mamabear563 Posts: 1

I've suffered from leg cramps that seemed very random and I never put it down to another menopause symptom. I went to my doctor who told me to do all the usual things- increase fluids, salt,exercise etc but the problem with all that is that I'm very careful with my diet, weight and fitness so the doctor was hopeless but you have made me think that this could just be "another " symptom. Thanks Monica

@Mamabear563 thank you for reaching out to me about it because I really thought it was odd to get Charlie horses or cramps like that. Oh my goodness I get the cramps sometimes when having sex with my husband I I have to jump up so quickly to try to alleviate the pain or stop having sex it is really crazy and happens at odd times. It doesn’t happen that often but when it does happen it hurts really badly I will try what your doctor said about less salt in the diet and I will try to drink more water sometimes I am good at that and sometimes I am not. Going to try to get better not drinking enough water can cause so many other issues. Thank you again for sharing your experiences.