Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Insomnia & menopause

Have you any solutions for someone already through the menopause but because of it suffers from insomnia?

Comments

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 189 mod

Hi Montgomery,

I have had bouts with insomnia from time to time it can be quit frustrating and it can be difficult.

What I have done in the past is try to rest my mind some I tend to not sleep well on Sunday nights before I go to work those times are really hard for me. Sometimes I can have the issue 2-3 times a week. What works sometimes for me is just to try to relax and shut everything off and try to sleep. If that doesn't work I will drink sleepy time or chamomile tea before going to bead.

Here are some tips to help cope with insomnia. I hope this helps you.

• MontgomeryCMontgomeryC Posts: 3

Hi Monica

Many thanks for your advice.

Montgomery

You are welcome hope it gives you some relief.

• Joyjoy67Joyjoy67 Posts: 3

Hi Montgomery

I’m going through the menopause naturally and out of the symptoms, insomnia has been my misted hated. I love my sleep and found it so hard to cope with every day life with so little sleep.

I tried lots of different things such as using essential oils, herbal sleeping tablets etc but found them of little help. I then started having reflexology once a month and it seems to be helping so maybe it’s worth looking into alternatives such as acupuncture and/or reflexology to see if that helps you?

The other thing I realised is that I started to get a lot of anxiety around sleep and would go to bed thinking it wonder how much sleep I’ll get tonight, or I hope I sleep through. And then if I woke up I’d be thinking here we go again, I wonder how long I’ll be awake for, how can I go back to sleep. I’ve realised this wasn’t helping so try to be aware of any negative thinking around sleep. I now have strategies for when I do wake up so I don’t get into my thinking. Eg have something to read, have a herbal tea, listening to an audio book.

Hope your sleep improves soon

• MontgomeryCMontgomeryC Posts: 3

Hi Joyjoy67

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Montgomery

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 347 Community Admin

@MontgomeryC, @Joyjoy67

Hi Ladies,

Sorry to hear you have sleep problems. Just wanted to share a couple of useful resources that you might find helpful! Here's to good articles to read:

I also wonder if mindfulness might be something to try out? This article includes 3 exercises that might help you sleep better.

We also have the lovely @Becks_Armstrong on our Forum - she's an Expert in Mindfulness & Sleep, plus the Founder of Clarity, a mindfulness, relaxation and sleep app designed specifically for women. You can talk to her here, if you'd like:

Keep me posted on how you're getting on. x

Blanka

• Becks_ArmstrongBecks_Armstrong Posts: 33 Menopause Mindfulness Expert

Hi @MontgomeryC, sorry to hear about your continuing insomnia.There's a lot of information on the forum for ideas of how to help you with your sleeping patterns and also little things you can do to try and help you sleep if you wake. I created the sleep pack on Clarity to help you wind down or go back to sleep if you wake up so do check it out. I would be happy to have a chat with you about what's going on for you specifically if you need.

I wish you the very best of luck with your sleep!

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity

Check out the Clarity app on iTunes & Google Play

@Becks_Armstrong

Thank you for the information, I will have to take a look at it. I suffer from Insomnia myself for example today I woke up at 3 a.m. and haven't been back to sleep and now I am going to be getting ready for work in an hour and I am already tired. I feel like I have already worked a complete day :(.

Oh @MonicaM that's really tough. I know you might not feel like you have time but if you can spare 5-10 mins to sit and listen to a mindfulness session to reset it can really help. Not getting back to sleep at all from 3 will definitely make you feel wiped out. What are you trying to do at the moment to get back to sleep that's not working? Maybe there's something we can find to try to help you that you've not tried before.

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity

@Becks_Armstrong I am open to trying different things to help me with not going back to sleep sometimes I have issues with falling asleep and then there are times I have issues not staying a sleep and then there are times I sleep well with no problems except for getting up to go to the bathroom. This time when I woke up I just got up and started doing some work because I could tell that I wasn't going to go back to sleep and my mind was racing sometimes I can shut it off and just focus on going back to sleep and sometimes I can't and this morning was one of those days.

I'm sorry to hear that. When your mind is racing, maybe try writing down in a notebook what's going on as it may help you get it out of your head. After you've got it out then sitting and doing intentional breathing to open and relax your belly and muscles for 10 mins can then help to slow down the thoughts and allow you to get a little more grounded. Doing work can ramp up the busy-ness so just be careful of getting your mind to work too much when you should be trying to sleep. It sounds like you're doing your best though so be kind to yourself and try again tonight.

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity

@Becks_Armstrong thank you for the suggestions, I will try them. Last night I slept pretty good and hopefully I will sleep well tonight too. Normally on the weekends I don't have that many issues with sleeping it is mostly on Sundays. Thank you again.

Great news @MonicaM - long may it last! 🤞🏿

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity