Awake most of the night ...HELP! 😩

hi all I’ve recently had oophrectomy and plunged into surgical menopause...I was waking at night for about 2 years prior to surgery around 3-5am but now wake every 2 hours for about an hour ...I’ve tried some sleep sprays and balms and herbal tea - does anyone have similar problems or found any useful solutions? Thanks 🙏 
Tagged:

Comments

• MilaMila Posts: 9
    Hello! I often have the same. I try not eating 2 hours before bed, taking a warm bath, and if I wake up I do breathing exercises so I fall asleep quicker. Also if I wake up I try really hard not to look at my phone or put on the tv as that wakes me up even more. If I think of anything else I will let you know. 
  • JuJu23JuJu23 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Ah thanks so much - I’ve seen a book on this website with breathing exercises so might get that - actually I’ve tried yoga and the breathing is useful so will give it a go ...🤗
  • MilaMila Posts: 9
    I’m awake now ...5am :(
    Oh dear...I was about 3 times - breathing exercise most definitely helped 😃 Ju 
  • AppleshapedAppleshaped Posts: 7
    I find putting lavender oil or spray really helps as well as listening to audio books or music.
  • KazKaz Posts: 299 mod
    Hello everyone!
    Sleep deprivation is the absolute worst isn't it? I'm looking forward to seeing if some of your brilliant suggestions work for me and for others! I've tried all sorts - lavender sprays, warm baths, milky drinks, bananas before bed (something to do with the potassium and magnesium they contain!), no electronic devices in the hours running up to bedtime, keeping to a routine, herbal sleep remedies..... 
    All a bit hit and miss for me I'm afraid, but I understand that different things work for different people, and I guess the trick is finding something that works for you. I'm currently using a mindfulness app, which helps me to get off to sleep, but then sometimes wakes me when the programme finishes! On a positive note though, I am really enjoying the cold weather that winter brings, because there is a slight relief from the hot flushes during the night! :)

Hi Kaz 
    i definitely think mindfulness and breathing might be the way to go - when my mind races the breathing helps and just trying to think of the quiet, dark, comfort etc and then remind myself I can’t do anything about the thoughts racing until the morning - by the time that arrives I’ve forgotten about them! (And everything else these days!) 
  • KazKaz Posts: 299 mod
    Hello @JuJu23. I’m really enjoying the app. There are loads of soothing choices, and you’re right, they seem to quiet all the noise in my head. They have a few breathing exercises I think I’ll have a try at as well. Isn’t it funny how busy our brains get? So full of stuff that gets overwhelming at times…
    Hi Kaz - yup daft ! I’m certain they lay under my bed just waiting for me to get settled then it’s ‘right boys time to start chattering’ !