Home Menopause Forum What's on your mind?

Feel like a teenager again but not in a good way!

Roobee45Roobee45 Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited June 29 in What's on your mind?

Hi,

I have spent the last hour reading through all the help and advice and have found it a real comfort.

I am 48, mother of 3 who works full time. I feel I have had perimenapausal symptoms for the past year, I went to see my GP in September who did a blood test which said everything was normal. Since then I have been trying everything to relieve my symptoms... Getting more exercise, eating healthily, no caffeine, no alcohol. I feel better sometimes (and have lost over a stone!) However, symptoms are becoming overwhelming again. I feel like I did the last time my hormones were all over the place - aged around 14!!

I am physically exhausted most of the time yet find it really hard to sleep, some says I could literally cry all day for no particular reason, I have a terrible dry mouth, anxiety, restless legs and I wake up in an awful cold sweat. I have a constant dread that something awful is going to happen - I'm going to die or someone close to me. Brain fog and absen mindedness It is all making life very difficult to enjoy.

Any help or advice would be great. Feel like I am going mad!

X

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 314 mod

Hi @Roobee45 I'm so sorry you are going through this. Menopause isn't easy is it. Firstly if you are over 45 the GP shouldn't have done a blood test as they don't show accurate results. If you are still having periods your results can be normal when really you are showing all the signs of menopause.

Would you consider HRT? If yes then I would suggest you go back to your GP with a determined frame of mind and ask for them. Some GP's can be really funny about giving them out if bloods are normal but you can insist if that's the route you want to take.

If you don't then you could try the herbal route. Magnesium for restless legs and sleep. Menopace for symptoms. Sage for hot sweats. Vitamin C and D for tiredness. Don't start them all at the same time though. Start one then a week later start another one and continue that way. There are also other supplements that can help. If you ask in any health shop they will be able to advise you.

Good luck and keep us posted x

• Roobee45Roobee45 Posts: 25 ✭✭

Hi, thank you Julie20 for your advice.

I saw my GP last week who was quite understanding... He wants me to go for another blood test but did say to me that my body knows more about what is going on than a hospital pathology dept!! He did say I am most probably in the peri stage, based on my age and symptoms.

I have started taking menopace too so hopefully they will help. Sleeping isn't going well (it's currently 2.15 am!!) II just can't relax at all. Worst symptoms at the moment are restless legs, crazy mood swings and dry mouth. Being a woman is never easy is it?

Any words would be nice, it sometimes just helps to know you're not on your own with all these weird feelings.

R x

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 314 mod

Hi @Roobee45 Im so glad you had an understanding GP. They are rare.

For restless legs I find magnesium really helps. Also put a bar of soap under your sheet. Sounds silly but it works. When ever my legs start to twitch I rub my feet on the soap.. also once a month shave the soap to keep it working. X