Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Hair loss

Hi I'm new to this forum, do Hello everyone 👋

I have mild long hair and over the last 4 to 5 years I've noticed I have less hair than I use to.

I did go to see my G.P snd she didn't comment except smile.

Anyone having the same issue with their hair.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Posts: 1

Hi, I’m suffering with hair loss. I have always had very fine hair but I’m now noticing I can see my scalp. Any help would be appreciated

• Brookie66Brookie66 Posts: 6

I am new to this forum, hello 👋

I am feeling really low having noticed a small baldish patch on my scalp. I have fine hair and have always shed lots of hair with brushing, washing, colouring etc, but this latest find is hard to accept.

It would be hugely appreciated if anyone can recommend any vitamins or products to restore my hair.

Many thanks 😊

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 406 Community Admin

Hi @Brookie66, welcome to the forum! 😊

Sorry to hear about your hair. :( Unfortunately hair thinning and loss is quite common during the menopause due to falling oestrogen levels. Omega 7 and zinc can help maintain healthy hair.

There's also this supplement called Lindens Hair Skin & Nails which some ladies on here take. I also heard Watermans products are good, although I haven't tried any.

I take iron every day as my hair was always super thin and every summer I lose so much of it just because of the seasons changing. Iron deficiency is connected to hair loss, I've been told. For shampoo, I try to use natural products only and stay away from all the drugstore ones as they're full of chemicals most of the time. I haven't found something that works for me yet.

I know Plantur has an entire range specifically for menopausal hair. Then, Tints of Nature have all sorts of organic, sulfate free products too. :)

If you like reading, here's two articles, full of tips & product recommendations from our community:

Hope this helps!

Chat soon,

Blanka x

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi ladies. Welcome to this amazing forum. As blanka has mentioned hair loss is common during menopause. A lot of ladies cut their hair short at this time due to this but not everybody wants short hair so it a hard one.

I find that natural products do help and definitely try to get them with sulphur in.

You can get herbal supplements for strong hair and nails which can also help.

It's a tough time as most of us are now going grey too so colour our hair which also doesn't help.

Amla oil put on once a week is really good it it does make the hair very greasy so needs a good wash afterwards. X

• MenopauseorjustmeMenopauseorjustme Posts: 430 Menopause Nurse Practitioner

@Sanderson_1967 @Nadia @Brookie66 @Julie20

Good evening, I can see a few of you have mentioned hair loss in menopause. I mentioned to @Blanka_C about this as it really is quite common and getting the right professional help is very important.

Have you discussed this with your GP? Had any blood tests? As deficiencies in minerals, hormones plus much can all cause hair loss. If a blood test picks up a problem with your hormones you can may be able to help. Stress is another major factor in hair loss.

I am not an expert in this field but please keep writing in and hopefully soon we can point you in the right direction.

Best Wishes

Diane Porterfield Bourne.