Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Bladder Leaking

slagraveslagrave Posts: 1

I'm 45 years old live in Maryland (United States) and have been treated for anxiety/depression for about 20 years now. I had a hysterectomy in my early to mid 30s due to fibroids heavy bleeding etc. I was in a very abusive marriage found a wonderful new husband and have been married almost 6 years. Early in 2019 I started having severe night sweats couldn't focus etc. Anyway I went to my primary care doctor and told him what I had been experiencing. One blood test later and yup "Menopause". My mother had a terrible time with it and never went on hormone therapy. She passed away in 2012 from cervical cancer. Anyway my dr put me on HRT and that helps for the most part. But I still could not focus. Went back and he put me on adderall extended release. This helps tremendously. I must also mention that I deal with chronic pain from back surgery. My biggest issue is the lack of bladder control. I am recovering from the flu and coughing of course and peed myself quite a bit even with poise urinary pads on. I am absolutely humiliated even if my husband understands and is compassionate. Does anyone else have this issue? How do you handle it?

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 334 mod

Hi @slagrave sorry to hear you have had to deal with so much. Incontinence is a huge problem for a lot of us ladies. On Sunday I took my 3 grandsons to the forest. It was really muddy as we have had loads of rain in London recently, anyway. My youngest grandson fell over in a foot of mud. I went to pick him up n slipped over myself. I'm now laying in a pile of mud laughing so much as I couldn't get up and yes I peed myself 😂 so try not to feel too bad about it. The only thing I can suggest is pelvic floor exercises. X

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 346 Community Admin

Hi @slagrave,

Welcome to the Community! I'm glad you found is, this place is full of friendly and supportive ladies.

Sorry to hear you have been and are going through a lot. It's great to hear you have a loving and understanding husband, though - I've been treated for anxiety and depression for a year now and having my supportive partner helped me a lot.

There are several types of urinary incontinence (this is the medical term for weeing unintentionally), one of them is called 'stress incontinence'. This is when some urine leaks out when your bladder is under pressure, for example when you laugh, cough, or run. Stress incontinence can be caused by many things, but the most common for women are vaginal, childbirth, abdominal surgery such as a hysterectomy, obesity, ageing, and the menopause. Have you checked this with your doctor, to rule out an infection, just in case?

As Julie says, Kegel exercises are a good idea. I think you'd find this article helpful, it's full of tips from our community: Menopause stress incontinence - what it is and how to cope

This is another: Incontinence after menopause: how to cope and what to wear

On tops, we have a panel of friendly Menopause Experts here too, feel free to ask them anytime & they'll get back to you with a personal response:

Hope this helps, please feel free to join in other conversations too! Keep me posted on how you're doing and remember, there's always a pair of ears if you need someone to talk to. x

Blanka x