Home Menopause Forum What's on your mind?

acid reflux and feeling like a lump in my throat

BaileybooBaileyboo Posts: 4
edited June 29 in What's on your mind?

I am 52 and started peri menopause at 43. The first symptoms were anxiety, tears and hormonal rage rage. I rode that storm for 2 years and tried everything to combat the symptoms. I cannot take HRT as my Mum died of a pulmonary embolism and so for the past 7 years I have just put up with the sensations, the moods, the weight gain, the lack of energy. However, new symptoms have raised their ugly head. Acid reflux and occasional regurgitation of food, aches and pains, vibrations throughout my body, feeling like I have a lump in my throat, 2 week long periods and then nothing for 6 months,night sweats, cold flashes ..... I must be near the end of this now? I take vitamin D, Calcium and magnesium, Omegas, curccumin and vitamin C. My bloods are fine apart from hormone fluctuations.I'm pretty active as I have horses and easily reach 15000/20000 steps a day. I just want to know if anyone else has any of these symptoms as my friends are not experiencing half of this. My diet is very plain at the moment due to the reflux and the doctor gave me omeprezole twice a day. I feel very low and think I just need reassurance that this is whats wrong and nothing else. Are these strange symptoms all part of the journey?

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 320 Community Admin

Hi @Baileyboo,

A massive welcome to you and I'm sorry I haven't got back to you sooner!❤️

Ahh poor thing, it seems like you have been and are going through a lot. I'm so glad you find us though, everyone is super friendly and supportive here.

Have you checked all of this with your GP? To me it seems you're experiencing all the symptoms in the book! All of these are quite common symptoms of the menopause. Remember: our bodies are very different and just because your friends are not experiencing something, that does not mean there's something wrong with you.

I've just done some research and acid reflux can indeed be part of the journey. It's good that your GP has given you omeprazole, is it helping so far? I'd recommend you read this article around dry mouth & ways to combat it, you might find something in there working for you.

Now, aches and pains. So many members of our community have problem with this! Big changes to your body and your hormones can leave your joints aching, and you might find that your range of motion changes, too. This is because as oestrogen levels fall and change, your joints and ligaments and tendons become less lubricated, which can lead to stiffness and pain. You might also notice redness, inflammation and swelling near some joints.

There are lots of stuff you can try to help this, however. Have you tried using a muscle balm before? I've got a ginger one that I just rub on my legs in the evenings (my aches are not related to the menopause, I used to be a dancer) which makes it better. Lavender also has inflammatory properties.

Then there's this cold cream called Biofreeze, this is my saviour! A microwavable wheat wrap might also be a good idea, heat is generally good for any kind of pain. I found this article for you: Aches and Pains during the Menopause.

Actually we have lots of good resources around here, just gathered a couple of good ones, feel free to have a look at them when you've got a chance:

On tops, we have a panel of friendly Menopause Experts here too, feel free to ask them anytime & they'll get back to you with a personal response:

But most importantly, keep in mind you're not alone! Hope this helps and please keep me posted on how you're doing. x

Feel free to look around the forum & join other discussions too, there's always a pair of ears if you need some reassurance.

Blanka x

• BaileybooBaileyboo Posts: 4

Thank you Blanka. I ended up in ENT the other night because I felt like I could'nt swallow. Camera down nose and they checked me over. Throat clear apart from the base of my tongue being swollen and they think this is due to reflux problem. Got to go for a swallow test soon just to make sure everything is working properly.They will be able to see if I have an oesophagael pouch causing all of this.

I am convinced this is hormonal. I'm at the stage of feeling like I have a period coming but nothing comes, night sweats , lack of sleep bla bla bla- all stressing me out. I'll go and have a read of the links you gave me. I'm sure I will find them useful.

I have biofreeze but I like the sound of the ginger rub. Id rather have heat than cold if that makes sense. It is so nice to feel part of a community and that I am not alone. My friends are just starting their peri -meno journey and just don't understand what it can be like. Thank you so much for your help :) xx

• momwith2boysmomwith2boys Posts: 1

Hi @Baileyboo

Thank you, Thank you, thank you for your post!! None of my friends are experiencing the same symptoms I have either. I am 47 years old and probably only about 11 months into peri-menopause. I too have had a feeling of a lump in my throat for about a year now, along with hot flashes at night, weight gain, dry mouth & anxiety.

My doctor sent me to an ENT who did the camera in my nose down my throat and told me there was nothing physiologically wrong. I pushed for an MRI because I swore there was something there. MRI came back negative. My doctor, has now given me a prescription for physio therapy saying she suspects a neck injury, even though I've had no neck injury~although I've probably created it with the amount of times I've tried to make the motion to try and get whatever it is that I'm feeling in my throat out...like when you get a popcorn kernal stuck back there and you keep trying to get it out, that's what I do constantly, every day, all day. Frustrating.

I have nights where my saliva feels so thick that I feel like I can't swallow, I didn't know there was a test for that so thank you for letting me know, I'm curious how your test went? When you have trouble swallowing, your anxiety goes up and the circle begins, uggghhhh...I believe my symptons too are hormonal but it's frustrating to try and navigate through it all with everyone dealing with different symptoms.

I'm new to this site and am so thankful I came across your post! Was feeling a little crazy~lol. I will be looking around the site for helpful tips as I am just beginning this journey.:)

Hi @momwith2boys,

First of all, what a cool name, hehe! 😁

Just wanted to say welcome to our lovely Community, there are some super friendly & supportive ladies here. We've got lots of ongoing discussions, feel free to join any or open a new one.

We've got this interesting chart called 'You're not going going crazy...It's menopause', thought you might like it.

Chat soon,

Blanka x

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 150 mod

@Baileyboo

Oh my goodness I have had the same symptoms with the lump in my throat. I first notice it about a year or so ago scared me half to death I had a panic attack at a restaurant because I didn’t know what was happening. Just like you said it feels like a lump in your throat and it didn’t go away I thought it was going to stop me from being able to breath so I panicked.

i went to an ENT doctor and they did the camera in my nose and felt around my throat and I went to the doctor and they called it Globus

It is so scary they really don’t know what causes it but for me when my acid reflux starts and my allergies start up the feeling comes back and it just came back a couple of days ago so that is why when I saw your post I was like I am not the only one going through this and I am not alone someone else understands my fears with it. It happens out of nowhere

Here is a link to Globus and I hope you get some relief from it and from the peri menopause symptoms. This is a great group and we are here to support you.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320245#causes-of-a-lump-in-the-throat

@Baileyboo

Hi Baileyboo,

I wanted to followup with you to see how you are doing?

|I'm good thanks . Diagnosed with silent reflux and the base of my tongue was swollen thus causing the swallowing complication. However, 2 months of omeprezole and its completely gone. Consultant said to lose weight and this would help. During this episode I lost 4 lbs in 3 months and I was eating less than 800 cals a day because it was so hard to swallow. Think this proves that hormones are holding onto the fat big time. I also have increased allergies and have even had hayfever symptoms in winter. Its mad!

Regarding you panic attacks, I had my first one at 43 out of the blue, but later realised it was when my hormones went into havoc with peri menopause. I recovered from anxiety using The Linden Method after trying CBT and anti depressants ,( which only made it worse and increased my panic attacks). I am now an Anxiety Recovery Coach with The Linden Method and it honestly changed my life. I have not been anxious for years and will never be anxious again. I just wish there was a book which told us all of the weird things that can happen during this change to our hormonal balance during peri and meno. I know all about the sensations of anxiety but I keep finding new sensations to do with menopause. No Doctor or Consultant I've came across has half the understanding that the community on here does. They should jump on here and read our stories. :)

Stay safe and best wishes x

Hi @Baileyboo, great to hear you're doing better now. What a journey you've been through.

So inspiring to hear you've recovered from anxiety and that now you are a Coach. I was diagnosed with 'anxiety with depression' (didn't even know there was such a thing) a year and a half ago (in my case, this was not menopause-related). I was put on antidepressants, which really made everything worse in the first month or too but then I started to feel better. Now I'm trying to get off it as I'm having side effects (low libido, exhaustion) and just don't want to be on it anymore. Finding it really hard, I think my body is 'addicted' to it at this point, every time I reduce the dose my anxiety gets worse. But I'll get there eventually. I just wish I'd tried counselling, therapy or something else first.

Anyways, I also wanted to share that we have a new Menopause Nurse on here (she's called Diane) who can answer questions and give expert advice on symptoms or anything menopause-related. You can ask her here if you'd like:

Stay safe! x

The reason the meds dont work is simple science really. Anxiety is a disorder of the emotion of fear, so its not a mental illness. Its to do with a release of the adrenaline hormone from our adrenal glands. Its just an inappropriate release of this hormone, when no real threat exists. That's all. Also anxiety is a state of hyper vigilance so you cant be depressed at the same time. You can be fed up and low because you are anxious but not clinically depressed.They are polar opposites of each other. This always used to annoy me when I was anxious because the Gp would say I was depressed when I knew I was'nt. I could bang on about it but the proof is out there. Just read the testimonials on FB and online. Counselling and talking therapy dont work either. They just remind you that you are anxious. I tried CBT, counselling, hypnosis, medication etc and nothing cured it. The Linden Method is totally different and its all about what you are doing not what you are thinking. Its brilliant! I urge you to have a look or get in touch with me or the Linden Centre. We advocate withdrawal from medication, if you want to , through a proper programme with your GP of course, whist complying with The Linden Method so you are withdrawing a the same time as you are recovering. I was given anti depressants and then diazapam for a side effect, then given another drug to counter act that. Its madness really. Anyway, i truly hope you recover and get your anxiety free life back. And thank you for the link to Diane. I might have to have her on speed dial! :)

@Baileyboo

Thank you. Honestly, this is exactly how I was (and still am) thinking. I can get anxious, have mood swings - but I never ever felt depressed. Anyway, I think I have helped manage my anxiety by myself rather than the meds, really. I am drawing a lot, reading every day, have mindfulness minutes and exercise 3 times a week. I've never felt so put-together. x

@Baileyboo

Thank you Baileyboo for the update and congrats on being a coach.

In he past my doctor wanted me to get on antidepressants because they said it would help with the hot flushes and night swears and I said no why would I take a medication when I am not depressed. My doctor was a little annoyed with me about it but he got over it lol. Needless to say I still have hot flushes really bad and night sweats.

Thank you for the insightful information.