Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Weight issues

Julie20Julie20 Posts: 335 mod

Hi ladies. I've seen a lot of posts regarding weight gain during menopause and the struggle to lose weight so on January 1st I'm going to start intermittent fasting. You can choose your slot length to eat, I'm starting with 16/8. I will eat for 8 hours starting around 9am them stop eating 8 hours later. Healthy eating and cutting out sugar..

Who wants to attempt this with me ?

We can support each other, give recipe ideas etc. ♥️

Tagged:

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 335 mod

I currently weigh 14st and am 5ft 6in. I want to lose 2st.

Let's be open with each other and keep this going. ♥️

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 349 Community Admin

Hi @Julie20,

How's your weight loss journey going? x

I actually decided to start going to the gym this year. I used to dance for years until I stopped not long ago and I miss it so much. I'm also (trying to) eat healthily, loads of veggies, fresh fruit and fish. Cutting sugar is also in my plan but I just find it sooooo difficult honestly. I just love chocolate and sweets so much :( :D.

I actually have a couple of good recipes, should we start a recipe exchange thread? 😍🍽️

Just weighed myself and have lost 2kg since Christmas so I'm pleased with that. We are all weighing ourselves once a week at work so we the support of each other :)

Cutting sugar is the best way to lose weight but it's so so hard as sugar is addictive.

Good luck blanka. We can do this :) x

Wow, congrats!!! That's amazing.

How nice you have such supportive colleagues. Let me know how you get on x

I've read today that when dieting we tend to get headaches because the body is losing electrolytes and the best thing you can do is to drink Bovril, it's low in calories. It is full of everything your body is lacking and it fills you up for a while. Now I love Marmite so I'm off to Tesco tomorrow to buy a jar of Bovril.

Will keep you all updated :)

• SarahmbSarahmb Posts: 1

also started but in the eve when tired reaching g for the chocolate . I have 3 stone to lose . Can’t do bovril as veggie so have bought miso soup !

Hi @Sarahmb . Welcome aboard the weight loss train. Apparently Bovril do a veggie version, I will have a look out for it when I go to the supermarket today and let you know. Marmite is veggie as it's yeast extract so fingers crossed.

I also struggle with the chocolate in the evening so I'm now trying to reach for fruit instead.

We can do this :) x

• MrsVukovic69MrsVukovic69 Posts: 1

Im experiencing the worst craving for unhealthy food. Ive never been like this before. Its all showing because ive gained 4st in the last year. What can i do to stop these cravings?

• TracyH75TracyH75 Posts: 1

Hi ladies

ive just signed up and feel like someone turned on a light. I’ve been having crazy cravings for the last 11 months too, battling to lose the extra weight and eat very few calories a day. Also try and exercise regularly but not having much success. Glad to learn I’m not alone!

edited January 15

@Julie20, @TracyH75, @Sarahmb, @MrsVukovic69

Hello Ladies, I just spoke with a friend of mine who's a personal trainer / fitness instructor and was told that it's 70% what you eat & 30% exercise only, which blew my mind.

I did some research and I think this article is full of awesome tips around diet, thought I'd share:

Post-menopausal meal planning for healthy and safe weight loss

Speak soon, Blanka x

edited January 16

Hi @MrsVukovic69 Unfortunately the only thing you can really do is try to sustain from eating it all. Don't go cold turkey as you will crave it even more, just try slowly cutting it down.

There is no miracle cure. Try reaching for fruit when you feel peckish and don't buy the bad food. If it's not in the house you can't reach for it. Good luck x

• Alfieholly1Alfieholly1 Posts: 1

My friend has lost 3 stone on slimming world. Looks amazing - she’s 54. I’m 44 trying it too as I need to drop a good stone. I will keep you posted x it’s not helping with my mood swings..!

• KasparKaspar Posts: 1

Hi everyone. Im brand new to the discussion and to LBM. Im struggling also with weight gain having never been overweight in my life i now find myself with 3 stone extra to carry about. Ive just joined Slimming World and the gym and have loat 4 1/2lbs in 2 weeks. This week however, i coulsnt beat my sugar cravings and fewl like i might be back to square one. Back on the horse tomorrow tho. Glad ive found this group

Hi @Kaspar, Welcome to the Community! It's a fab group with lots of lovely ladies, there's always someone here if you need to let some steam off. x

Wow, what an achievement! Must feel so good to see results so fast - I remember when I started working out to build up some muscles it took me aaaaaaages for anything to show. What kind of exercises do you usually do at the gym? I need some inspiration & motivation haha.

• kas0401kas0401 Posts: 1

Hi, everyone. New to the forum as of today, and SO glad to have come across the forum. Menopause has been a rude awakening with migraines, anxiety mood swings, freakin' hot flashes, and weight gain...50 pounds over 3 years. The entirety of my adult life I weighed no more than 135, 5'7", size 6, very active, very fit. So you can bet your bippy that the weight gain has really been frustrating. My go-to low carb along with exercise? They laughed at me. My sister and I are going through this together, and it's very comforting to know we aren't alone. I haven't read forum rules (up front transparency), but there won't be any judgement from me on any issue. I state that because I prefer to participate in dieting/ways of life that aren't always popular: keto (I can never get to ketosis); low carb Atkins style; carnivore (all meat, all the time...I LOVE THIS); intermittent fasting; AND...screw it all...nothing works...give me that pizza! But I got a good look at the woman staring back at me in the dressing room mirror this week, and wow...whoever that woman is, she ate the old me!!!! I have to do something...I have to get serious for my health. I will never reclaim my size 6, but I definitely would like to reclaim a 10 or 12. I would feel so much better. I am setting myself up for one meal a day (OMAD), and it will be low carb. I have sensitivities to some veggies/fruits (check out FODMAP for THAT issue), and know which ones work best for my body. I will use a 4-window feeding period, 12-4p, drink 16-80 oz water, my morning black coffee, and ... sigh...my evening wine. Is that part of the real plan? Doubt it, but dang...menopause has taken everything else from me...not my wine!!! I'm looking at simple exercises I can do inside as well as walks when weather permits....aim is not to injure myself, but to improve my health. And on that final note to this mini-epistle ... I'll end for now and look forward to reading about everyone's struggles, strengths, and suggestions. We all are in this TOGETHER...and man....it is great knowing I have a place to go!!!

Hi @kas0401 welcome to this amazing group of like minded ladies.

I love your outlook and look forward to hearing about your journey through the dreaded Menopause x

• MonicaMMonicaM Posts: 192 mod

Yes, ladies i am here right with all of you. Since menopause I have struggled so badly with my weight and it seems like it hits you all at once. I wasn't happen when I first realized how big I had gotten when I looked in the mirror and said "what happened" the answer is peri-menopause, menopause and postmenopause and it is awful with the weight gain. I have tried fad diets here and there and then once you stop them it seems like you gain the weight back. I have decided to do Keto again because like you ladies I am trying to cut out the carbs and sugar. It can be difficult at times especially with the cravings. My issues are junk food at times but more sweets then anything. Where I work they have all types of sweets one week it was an icecream cake and cookies, this week someone brought in a cheese cake and I am sitting at my desk about to loose it because now my mind has reacted to the food and says "let's eat it come on it won't hurt you". Honesty most of the time I have turned it down but there are times that I take just a little bit which I never thought I could and that stops the cravings but I get mad at myself because I end up eating sugar but I have cut it out quit a bit. My results are very slow but I am still trying to hang in there because I would like to loose more weight and get back to a size 10.

edited February 19

Hi ladies, just thought I'd share that I'm officially going back to the gym next week after a year of not being physically active at all. This time I got a friend of mine helping me (he's a PT) so fingers crossed! 😁 He's also going to help me with healthy recipes, I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck, haha x

@MonicaM, @Sarahmb, @Kaspar, @kas0401, @MrsVukovic69, @Julie20 how are you getting on? xx

Hey @Blanka_C great to hear. May be you could post some of the recipes on here 🥰. I've given up trying. I lose a few lb then put it back on again x