Explaining the menopause to your family

Hi guys,  <3

Have you had a go at explaining what you’re going through? What helped bring it home to your family? 

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!!! xxx  :pensive:

Comments

• Sandra_TSandra_T Posts: 5
    Hi @marion_s91 ,

You just have to be completely honest with them and let them know all the things they can do to help xxx
  • marion_s91marion_s91 Posts: 10
    @Sandra_T
    Thanks for the advice lovely lady  <3
    will give it a go and get back to you - they aren't all bad.... :) xxx
  • Has anyone had to explain it to children at all and have any tips to explain why mummy is moody? (more so than normal haha!)
  • tiredandhottiredandhot Posts: 2
    I'm trying speaking about it honestly and often. They really don't know anything about it, so I've tried to educate them a little more about what's happening and why, to help them understand what i'm feeling and going through and help me.
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Hi guys,  <3

Have you had a go at explaining what you’re going through? What helped bring it home to your family? 

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!!! xxx  :pensive:

@marion_s91 I have two teenage boys at home, as well as my husband. I keep mentioning the "Menopause" word loud and clear, and I make a point of letting them know what I'm feeling. Even when they roll their eyes and look completely disinterested! I figure that they'll perhaps have partners of their own in the years to come, and instead of looking back and remembering Mum as a moody, sweaty firecracker, they'll have some sympathy for the person they're sharing their lives with! But really - teenage hormones and menopausal Mums... It's a tricky combination sometimes! House full of hormones!

• DizziLadyDizziLady Posts: 7
    I have 3 daughters, aged 20, 21 and 23. They all enjoy laughing with me at those silly moments when you find a teatowel in the freezer, or burn a pan because you forget its on! They are all concerned by my mood swings and hot flushes, but they all make me feel blessed as they have each asked individually about menopause and we have discussed its potential genetic effects and the fact that they may well experience the same or similar symptoms.
    My girls see menopause as a way to stop having the inconveinience of periods and have all pitched in with telling me how amazing I am!
    But I do look at their fresh beautiful faces and sometimes I admit I'm so envious of their tight skin, perky boobs and boundless energy!
    I love my family, and I really appreciate the female solidarity I get from my girls! But I just wish I didnt resent their youth or feel so replaced in the world by them!!!

• KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    DizziLady said:
    I have 3 daughters, aged 20, 21 and 23. They all enjoy laughing with me at those silly moments when you find a teatowel in the freezer, or burn a pan because you forget its on! They are all concerned by my mood swings and hot flushes, but they all make me feel blessed as they have each asked individually about menopause and we have discussed its potential genetic effects and the fact that they may well experience the same or similar symptoms.
    My girls see menopause as a way to stop having the inconveinience of periods and have all pitched in with telling me how amazing I am!
    But I do look at their fresh beautiful faces and sometimes I admit I'm so envious of their tight skin, perky boobs and boundless energy!
    I love my family, and I really appreciate the female solidarity I get from my girls! But I just wish I didnt resent their youth or feel so replaced in the world by them!!!

Hi DizziLady It’s great that your beautiful girls have such a great role model! Hopefully, the menopause won’t come as such a surprise to them in the future!  <3
  • MandL21MandL21 Posts: 2
    I think we all need to be so much more honest & open & talk about it more, some people just think “oh yeah she’s hormonal just going through menopause & having hot sweats” laughing it off but it’s debilitating. I feel my partner is very sympathetic with what I’m going through at the moment he knows exactly when my hot moments are as can’t believe how “roasting” & “sweaty” I get usually asks if he can do anything etc. He has also read up on the menopause bless him just to know what we can expect lol.  Just hope his support continues as he’s my rock, he’s lived with my menstrual migraines for years every 21 days so let’s hope so 👍
  • KazKaz Posts: 345 mod
    MandL21 said:
    I think we all need to be so much more honest & open & talk about it more, some people just think “oh yeah she’s hormonal just going through menopause & having hot sweats” laughing it off but it’s debilitating. I feel my partner is very sympathetic with what I’m going through at the moment he knows exactly when my hot moments are as can’t believe how “roasting” & “sweaty” I get usually asks if he can do anything etc. He has also read up on the menopause bless him just to know what we can expect lol.  Just hope his support continues as he’s my rock, he’s lived with my menstrual migraines for years every 21 days so let’s hope so 👍
    MandL21 You are SO right! We need to talk loudly to anyone and everyone and make menopause as normal as having periods and babies and every other medical landmark in our lives. Thank goodness for the decent partners in our lives who hang on in there with us!  :3
  • MandL21MandL21 Posts: 2
    I don’t think it’s ever been discussed in our family when I was younger other than “oh Auntie so & so is having another one of her hot moments” I have seen & heard of so many women during my life to present and thought oh god I hope I don’t get it & ta dah here it’s is ☹️ Thank goodness I found this community where people can share info it’s going to help loads I know we are all different but we are all going through the same experience 🤗 xxxxx
  • KazKaz Posts: 345 mod
    Isn’t it a breath of fresh air to realise that you’re not on your own, and that there are other women out there dealing with the same or similar issues as you? It’s uplifting. And it makes me more determined to make everyone aware just how hard this is for some women. I just want it to be normalised so that we can talk about it without stigma or worry. This forum is helping do just that!  :)