Any of you finding support from your HR reps at work?

Or have you told your line manager? What makes a difference to you at work? Any tips or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• marion_s91marion_s91 Posts: 10
    @milagros I had an awful experience with my manager who's much younger than me... his eyes glazed over when i told him i was perimenopausal...not ideal...
  • AppleshapedAppleshaped Posts: 7
    Indeed!  In IT surrounded by younger males and older male senior management.  Director is a younger women.  No understanding expected or given.  Female peers of any age are more supportive.  
  • sue090967sue090967 Posts: 2
    As an employer, do they have to accommodate or should I say, make allowances for you as an employee? Where do you stand with employment law? 
    Thanks
  • KazKaz Posts: 349 mod
    edited December 2018
    sue090967 said:
    As an employer, do they have to accommodate or should I say, make allowances for you as an employee? Where do you stand with employment law? 
    Thanks
    I think there are lots of changes that need to be made, and all of them involve communication. We, as women, need to talk about what’s happening to us. Employers need to listen. We are working far longer than we ever did, and a lot of women probably have menopausal symptoms for a while before they even realise what’s going on. Everyone, women included, need to have more information available to them to enable conversations to happen. GP’s need better training - the people we go to for help need to have a better understanding of the concerns we have and not immediately think mental health issues. Employers need to be more proactive when it comes to dealing with women who want to continue working effectively with the menopause. The symptoms of menopause are often unrecognised, undervalued and just not taken seriously, and given that some women can have symptoms for ten years plus, things need to be put in place to make our working lives easier. I’m not sure that employment law has caught up yet! 
  • JuJu23JuJu23 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    😂 support at work....yeh right!!!! 
  • KazKenn24KazKenn24 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    https://www.facebook.com/1700506176913718/posts/2009645985999734/

Finally getting some recognition in parliament.
    Not sure it changes anything much for menopausal ladies, but at least people are beginning to talk about it as an issue!

• wattoo1971wattoo1971 Posts: 17

i have had to take some time off from work. I am going through the menopause, periods stopped in October and nothing since. I have been peri menopausal for a couple of years and I have been trying different HRTs with no success due to migraine so I had not been on anything for a while. 2 and a half weeks ago, I snapped at work. I have a very stressful job in education and I had been struggling with brain fog, no short term memory headache, joint pain, sore gums, feeling like I am sitting on glass, nausea anxiety and low mood. I was going to and from work in tears. Totally exhausted. So far work have been good but I do feel as though i am going to have to change my job as I just can't work at the same pace as before.

• cosiecosie Posts: 27 ✭✭

@sue090967 It's supposed to be covered by all the equal rights laws. The problem is I think every company interprets this differently...

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 99 mod

If you work somewhere that has occupational health then go and see them. Employers are now supposed to take menopause in to consideration although I don't think many do. Especially if you work in a mainly male environment. I do think if you are struggling you need to speak to your line manager or HR as if you have to take time off due to menopause it will already be on your file which should make it slightly easier for you.