Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Hysterectomy

Due to have a hysterectomy in 2 weeks I am getting hot flushes night sweats sleep is terrible bone pain I am worring when I get my OP is this all going to get worse I have my pre OP next week so I need to get my questions answered.

Answers

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi @Pauline11166

Are you having your ovaries removed ? If not then a lot of your symptoms will slow down. If you are then you will go in to full-blown menopause and will need HRT.

When you go for the pre-op make sure this is one of the questions you ask.

Good luck with the surgery, keep us updated on your progress, it would be nice to have a weekly blog on your recovery as I think a lot of women do worry about this and you could put a lot of ladies minds at rest X

• Yes will be having my ovaries removed nervous about the op as anyone would be, would be happy to update on my progress if it helps any other ladies.

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi again @Pauline11166

You will go in to full blown menopause and will have to take HRT but at least all the other problems will be over.

It would be lovely for updates on your progress

Good luck x

• Well a update got my hysterectomy last Tuesday was ment to be key hole but could not be done like that so ended up with abdominal surgery got out hospital on the Thursday all I can say is everything was taken apart from the neck off the womb the surgeon said the operation was challenging I was in so much pain on Thursday ended up in tears got something a bit stronger I have got to say the pain how you feel totally drained was all a bit off a shock to me today pain ok till sore but painkillers are a must walking better feel every day i am getting stronger not being able to do much but when all i want to do is get the house cleaned but no i cant my husband been great just a day at a time that's how i am dealing with it i update again next week.

• blankazsanna5blankazsanna5 Posts: 23 ✭✭

Hi @Pauline11166

It's great to hear you're feeling better every day and thank you so much for the update. I'm new here and my mum is about to have hysterectomy soon, I've joined this forum to help her - she doesn't speak English and finds it so difficult to find support, advice, etc...

Do you have any tips to prepare for the surgery? She's so afraid and so am I, not sure what to expect and especially how to help her feel less anxious? Thanks in advance, Z x

• Hi i think anyone would be anxious i no I was it was all I thought about when the date got closer the more stressed I became but I new it was what had to be done so just be positive I worried about the menopause I was getting hot flushes but new once I had this done things could get worse got to say at the moment they have not it is major surgery depending how your mums operation is being done and will take time to get back to normal but I have got to say I am doing well but you do need to take it easy and I did read you can get a bit low in mood I feel ok in my mood tell your mum she will be fine I am not even 2 weeks since I had mine I just rest if I get sore but I do what I can walk a bit round the house thats what I do you will no if you over do it hope its a little help if you what to ask anything else feel free hope all goes well with your mum.