Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Can I take HRT as a Breast Cancer Survivor ( 11yrs ago)?

HasuHasu Posts: 3

In 2008 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I'm having terrible hot flushes, sleepless nights, I have lost my joy for life. I was given antidepressant for my symptoms which made me feel numb.

Can I take HRT?

Best Answers

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 334 mod
    Accepted Answer

Hi @Hasu

Firstly congratulations on beating the big c. Unfortunately HRT isn't advised for post cancer sufferer's as HRT can slightly raise the chance of cancer during menopause.

Anti depressants such as citalopram are generally given instead of HRT, not necessarily for depression but for anxiety, mood swings, insomnia and hot flushes. It may be worth speaking to your GP and asking their advise.

You can take menopace which also helps these symptoms but you always need to get professional advise beforehand. X

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 334 mod
    Accepted Answer

Hi again.

Is your GP up to date on menopause? My GP is an absolute dinosaur and not got a clue he told me I needed a scan due to bleeding so sent a referral to the FGM clinic lol. If your GP isn't overly knowledgeable on it then it may be worth going to somewhere like Holland and Barrett and asking in there as they are very clued up on menopause. Your GP can't just write you off because you can't take HRT. They need to keep searching until they find something that does agree with you and is safe to take.

Don't give up X

Answers

• HasuHasu Posts: 3

Thank you @Julie20. I've already tried Anti depressants both Citalopram & Sertraline over the past 4 years. Unfortunately they didn't help. My GP didn't think Menopace would help either. x

• VassaVassa Posts: 2

I would check out

Dr Louise Newson pod cast and website. She has amazing information

• HasuHasu Posts: 3

Thankyou @Vassa I've been following Dr Newson for a while she's informative - unfortunately she has very little on what an breast cancer patient in remission. So frustrating just don't know who to turn too for my options.

• VickyAVickyA Posts: 1

Hi Hasu,

just read your post and I had breast cancer too. So I am not allowed HRT either. I take Venlafaxine 150mg a day. Wouldn’t be without it now. I still get the symptoms but not as frequently or severely. Don’t give up, keep trying and don’t stop nagging until you feel better xx