Home Menopause Forum Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Burning mouth syndrome

Hi is there anyone that is suffering with this awful burning mouth syndrome, any tips would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 175 Community Admin

Hi @Lisa68,

Menopause can indeed cause dry mouth (which is also known as xerostomia) - it's a common symptom actually!

You might have a sore, dry feeling in the mouth, throat and lips, as well as feeling thirsty more frequently. However, it can also sometimes cause a burning sensation in the mouth and tongue (this is known as burning mouth syndrome).

The good news is that there are lots of things you can try to help ease the symptoms! Of course it goes without saying that staying hydrated and drinking lots of water is super important, but many women find that sucking on ice cubes or hard boiled sweets can help to soothe the burning feeling.

We've actually written an article on this, it's definitely worth having a look at: https://menopause.livebetterwith.com/blogs/stories-info/how-to-handle-menopause-dry-mouth

Have you tried using a gentle mouthwash?

Blanka x

• Lisa68Lisa68 Posts: 4

Thank you for the information

• hn1402hn1402 Posts: 1

Hi !

i see a medical herbalist and she recommended sage tea and use it like a mouth wash every few hours ! I was getting a burning sensation ....

• Stacey12Stacey12 Posts: 1

I have burning dry mouth. It's driving me nuts. I'm drinking water, using biotene mouthwash and toothpaste. Gargling olive oil and gargling aloe vera. I can't get this ti calm down. I am low on estrogen which dr says is what's causing it. Any suggestions?

• flowergirl5flowergirl5 Posts: 11

Hi @Stacey12, I read somewhere that sea buckthorn oil might help and also ginger too.