Home Menopause Forum What's on your mind?

Hi! I am new to this forum. I am 47 and feel perimenopausal even though my blood test didn't agree! Main symptoms atm are awful insomnia and anxiety. I have a job I enjoy, a wonderful husband and 3 gorgeous children yet I feel so tearful and miserable a lot of the time. I'm tired and Fed up of not feeling like myself....good to get all that off my chest. If anyone has any advice on how to be more positive and how get a good night's sleep I would be very grateful. 😴😬

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 482 mod

Hello @Roobee45

A massive welcome to you!

I recognise all those feelings too! I sometimes used to feel as if I’d morphed into some kind of cartoon version of myself!

SO frustrating to read about blood tests again!

After 45 , blood tests shouldn’t be used to confirm a peri/menopause diagnosis, because they’re not reliable! Hormones are all over the place - so you may very well get a result like yours, that suggests there’s nothing amiss, when you clearly know the symptoms that you’re experiencing! After 45, a diagnosis should be made, based on the symptoms you’re describing.

I’m on HRT now, and I’m sure that helps a bit - but I also use the Clarity app by our lovely expert @Becks_Armstrong. There are other apps available too - but I tried a few, and this is the one that has worked for me. It really helps to bring a bit of calm to my day (yes, it will help with the anxiety too) and for me, more importantly, it helps me to get to sleep. It helps me stay asleep, and if I wake up through the night, it helps me get back to sleep again.

Sleep (or lack of!) was the one thing that knocked me sideways. I could deal with most other symptoms, but it all got a bit too much when I was only sleeping for two or three hours a night. This app also has an Instacalm session for those moments when the anxiety hits it all gets too much. I was sceptical and didn’t expect it to help, but it really did, and is definitely worth a try to get some much needed rest and calm back!

https://clarity.app/clarity

• Roobee45Roobee45 Posts: 6

Thank you so much for replying. I will check out that app today. It is comforting to know that other people are having similar symptoms and i'm not imagining them!

X

• Jan71Jan71 Posts: 1

Hi @Roobee45

I'm also new to the site....literally joined this morning! I'm experiencing early menopausal symptoms also....had a blood test and was told hormone levels are normal. But there is definitely something going on: I experience cold sweats at night from time to time, my moods are all over the place, joint pain or actually pain anywhere in my body! I especially suffer with my lower back but have been diagnosed with lower disc bulges so can't blame my age for everything lol

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and see how your doing? How old are your children? I have 2... aged 13 and 10 ( son and daughter). J xx

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 175 Community Admin
    edited October 2019

Hi @Roobee45 and @Jan71,

Welcome to the forum!

@Roobee45 - so many members of our community have told us they have difficulty sleeping...and we've actually created a 7-day sleep course that you might find useful.

You'll find practical tips & articles, bedtime recipes, mindfulness exercises and many more in there - one for each day during the week. :) It's totally free and you can sign up here: https://mailchi.mp/af5208f84a83/menopause-sleep-course-fb

I agree with you @Kaz about using mindfulness apps, I've tried so many and some of them do actually work! At the moment I'm listening to a mindfulness podcast and it does wonders . I also find lighting a vanilla candle each night very soothing.

@Jan71 - I don't have children, but I do have a dog! He's a year old and sometimes it feels like having a baby...he demands attention and babysitting all the time, otherwise he goes mad around the house. 😁

Blanka x

• Hi hope you are having a good day. Try and be positive, believe me positivity is such a good ‘ mood lifter’. Take time to look after yourself, this can be a lovely warm bath that smells beautiful and a face pack you can peel off. Gentle music with the smell of a relaxing candle. Works for me and I feel relaxed after a hard day at work and sleep like a baby. Lynn x

• Roobee45Roobee45 Posts: 6

Hi @Jan71 and @LynnWhitmarsh

Thank you both for your advice. Still really struggling to get a good night's sleep but am trying a few apps and trying to stick to a routine. Music seems to help. Does anyone else have restless legs? They are currently driving me crazy.

I have 3 kids. Two boys and a girl.. 17, 12 and 8!

Sending love

R xx

• Marieab67Marieab67 Posts: 2

I empathise with the sleep issue! I manage it with meditation and binaural beats. I find if I focus on waking I keep myself awake. I think my brain for waking me to allow me to go to the loo and then settle with headphones in and ready to sleep again.. It works for me!

• Blanka_CBlanka_C Posts: 175 Community Admin

Hi @Roobee45

Just thought I'd ask how you're getting on? Did you have any luck with getting a good nights sleep? Blanka x