Early menopause

Hi all,

I started menopause symptoms about 18 months ago. When I was 44 (I'm now 46) HRT tablets didn't work other than making me gain a lot of weight in a very short period. HRT Patches were awful and made me suicidal with mood swings. I am reluctant to go back onto HRT as all my aunts and my mother have had either breast cancer or ovarian cancer. I've had a lot of gynecological issues myself so I am reluctant to have a coil fitted. I take herbal stuff to try and regulate things but I feel like I am slowly disappearing down a black hole. I have no libido which is frustrating not only for my partner but me also. I am either red mist angry or crying and normally for no reason what so ever. I am constantly exhausted and in pain but my GP just keeps saying to take HRT as this is all related. I exercise 4 times a week, doing running and aerobic classes, don't drink, don't smoke and have a fairly healthy diet. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 130 mod

Hi @March73

I'm sorry to hear you are going through so much. To be honest HRT probably isn't the best route with cancer in your family. Have you ever thought of going on an antidepressant, not for depression but for menopause? I take citalopram and I've said it many times if it wasn't for those wonder tablets I would be behind bars :) the mood swings the anger. The irrational behaviour is awful. You know exactly what you are doing and saying but you have no control over it. I was horrible and I knew it. I've been taking citalopram for about 4 months now and literally after a few days of starting them I could feel myself becoming more normal again.

It's definitely worth having a chat with your Dr about it. I also take menopace and magnesium which also help.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide x