anyone tried the bioidentical hormone therapy?

hi all
iam 47 with perimenopause syptoms. i opted for bioidentical hormone therapy. went to private clinic had bllod tests and was told iam low progesterone and low vitamin D  and B. was prescribed progesterone cream and tablets and diet plan. plus ive purchased collegen suplements too. 1 yr on and my hot flashes are really bad my skin and hair not improved... whats going on? i dont understand why so many others are saying they have excellent results on this but i dont see any changes. anyone else in same situation or is there any advice you can offer? iam so down at the moment.

Answers

• KazKaz Posts: 438 mod
    Hello @naz1971 ;

Welcome to the forum.

I went to have a look about bio identical hormone therapy when I saw your post. There have been some articles in the news this week querying the safety of these treatments - so I wanted to know more.

In searching, I discovered that I had actually tried a version. I've had a long menopause story - 16 years of symptoms, so along the way I've tried a lot of things to get some relief. Just before I was finally prescribed HRT 8 months ago, I tried a supplement called Nutrition FX. I only took it for around 6 weeks, so I don't really think that was long enough to feel the full effects, but I did get some relief from hot flushes with it. That's certainly not a recommendation, and I don't think I would have been able to continue with this because of the cost. I found it very expensive and couldn't have kept up with it on a regular basis as a result.

I do think that it's very frustrating that one treatment will work for one person, and not for another, but unfortunately that's the nature of things. Even with HRT, it's a very individual thing. What works for me, may not work for you. It's frustrating but you really do have to persevere, and you have to be aware that you my have to tweak treatments periodically or change altogether if they seem to stop working.

Here's an interesting article from Dr Louise Newson you may find helpful.

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/body-identical-hormones