Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

How Long Does This Last?

HD213HD213 Posts: 4
Began surgical menopause in March.  5 weeks in to pellet HRT.  I can handle the hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia-they are getting a little better.  My biggest complaint is my head...  I can’t really call it brain fog-I just feel no motivation to do anything!  I get an occasional urge to do something, but most of the time I find my self staring off into whatever my husband or son are doing-not really even absorbing it, just blank.  As a mom, a wife, and a business owner, this is not good!  

I understand that natural menopause can take years, but is surgical menopause any different?  

Thoughts?

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    Hello again @HD213

My heart sank when I read your question! The real answer is that it's different for everyone, and there's no way to tell. On the NHS website this is their take - 

Most women will experience some symptoms around the menopause. The duration and severity of these symptoms varies from woman to woman.

Symptoms usually start a few months or years before your periods stop, known as the perimenopause, and can persist for some time afterwards.

On average, most symptoms last around 4 years from your last period. However, around 1 in every 10 women experience them for up to 12 years.

If you experience the menopause suddenly rather than gradually – for example, as a result of hysterectomy or cancer treatment – your symptoms may be worse.

I had a hysterectomy in 2003 - and despite being told otherwise, I went straight into menopause, but the symptoms weren't recognised either by me, or my doctors. I got HRT patches about 8 months ago - and my symptoms have finally almost gone. So that means, I've had symptoms for 15 years.
    I do believe that surgical menopause is harder - a shock to the system if you like. I have no stats to back that up - the benefit of hindsight I guess.

I stress - that this is unusual, and far from scaring you, I'd give you the positive message, that with the right treatments, whether HRT or a more natural route, you can control the symptoms. I had a long time with all sorts of supplements and other treatments to treat the symptoms I was having. Some worked, some not so much. HRT has by far, been the best result. My mind is clear, my flushes are gone, I am sleeping, my mood is better, I have more energy, I no longer feel as if I can't be bothered, I feel more like myself, and I wonder how I managed for all that time without it. But you do!

I can see that it's still early days for your pellet HRT, but it may be worth having the conversation with your GP to explore your options.

I stress - it's still early days with your HRT treatment, but if you feel it's not working the way you expect, or as well as you want it to, a chat with your GP is perfectly valid to raise your concerns. 😊

• HD213HD213 Posts: 4
    Thank you.  It is comforting to know I’m not alone in this...