?

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    Debbie_54 said:
    Should I go on hrt
    ?
    Hello @Debbie_54

Welcome!

The decision to ask for or take HRT depends on a lot of things. Your GP will ask you various questions to help determine if it's an option for you.
    For example - Are hot flushes the only symptom you're experiencing? How much do the flushes affect you? How often are you having them?  How old are you? How long have you been having symptoms? Are you still having periods, and is there any change to your cycle or the level of bleeding you have? They'll ask about family history - for instance any breast cancer or other cancers to consider, high blood pressure, history of blood clots etc. Do you smoke?  LOTS of questions! (I'm not asking you to answer them here - just giving you an idea of what you might get asked!)
    You might be surprised to discover that you have other symptoms too, so I'm attaching a check list for you to have a look at. It's handy to print out and take to your GP with you, and it gives them a clear picture of what you're dealing with.
    If you're over 45, your GP won't require to do blood tests to confirm a diagnosis, and even if you're under 45, they may choose not to since the results can be unreliable. Hormones are all over the place through perimenopause onwards, so your hormone levels can rise or fall on a daily basis.

https://menopausesupport.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/MENOPAUSE-SYMPTOM-CHECKER.docx

If your flushes are your only symptom, and they're not bothering you unduly, you might decide that you don't want to try HRT at all, and a good menopause supplement will be enough for you.
    It's entirely up to you - but it may be worth making an appointment to discuss with your GP to help you decide.
    Hope that helps - but if you have any other questions, you know where we are! 😊