Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Hot flushes

Debbie57Debbie57 Posts: 2

I am 57yesrs old I started to go into the menopause when I was just,34i was told that it was the result from having s total hysterectomy. The flushes are relentless throughout the day and night, unable to take hrt due to breast cancer in 2009. Please can you suggest something to help.I am not able to take herbal remedies either. Regards Debbie

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hello @Debbie57 ,

Welcome to you!

I feel for you! Flushes used to wipe me out, but at least I could try to control them with supplements, and now I’ve finally been allowed to take HRT, so that’s helping enormously.

In your case, I’m going to suggest a mindfulness app, which I know might sound like a ridiculous idea, but I found it really helpful. I began using the Clarity app to help me with sleep (and it works brilliantly well for that!). It’s an app designed especially for women coping with menopause, and our expert @Becks_Armstrong is the brains (and beauty!) behind it.

As a welcome side effect, it also helps me with menopausal anxiety that flares up occasionally, BUT there’s also an Instacool session, specifically designed to help cool you down when you’re dealing with hot flushes. I’ve used it and it works – and I found it especially helpful through the night, which is when my flushes sometimes felt like they were consuming me!

It does take a bit of practice to feel the maximum benefit, but it’s not a massive effort, and I do feel that it benefits me in all sorts of other ways.

It’s like everything – what works for one person might not work for someone else, but it’s definitely an option, and it’s drug free, so perfect for your circumstances.

Hope this helps! If you decide to try it, I’d love to know how you get on.☺️

https://clarity.app/

• Becks_ArmstrongBecks_Armstrong Posts: 33 Menopause Mindfulness Expert

Hi @Debbie57, the hot flushes sound full on for you! I'm sorry to hear that.

The lovely @Kaz has covered a lot of what I would say - I would only add that if you can't take any vitamins or HRT then you need to look to food as medicine and also your exercise regime.

You may need to talk to a nutritional therapist (@Kaz do we have an expert here?) that could talk to you about adjusting your diet a little.

Three of the best ways to help you if you can't take HRT is to make sure your stress levels are kept as low as you can (which is where the daily mindfulness comes in) and then looking at your food/drink to see if there's anything that you're taking that can trigger a flush. Things like alcohol, coffee, and sometimes sugar can be triggers so you may need to talk to someone about adjusting your diet a little.

The other thing you can look at trying is lifting weights. There's new research to suggest that lifting weights can have a proper impact on your hot flushes - you can read about it here https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27755335/strength-training-reduces-hot-flashes-menopause/ so that might be another option.

Acupuncture has also been researched to help with hot flushes - you could give that a try if you know of a good practitioner nearby.

Best of luck with trying to lower the flushes, I hope you find something that can work quickly.

Becks

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity

Check out the Clarity app on iTunes & Google Play
  • Debbie57Debbie57 Posts: 2

Thanks for getting back to me the the hot flushes.Unfortunately I can't exercise as I am partially dissbjed but I shall. definitely look into controlling it possibly with diet changes. Regards Debbie

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hi @Debbie57,

I would definitely give the app a try to control the hot flushes. I’d also ask our experts @Nicki_Williams and @The_Menopause_Chef for some diet and nutrition advice to see if they have suggestions for foods to help deal with your flushes. Just click on the “Ask the experts” section and post on their individual discussion thread. Good luck! ☺️