Partial hysterectomy in 2005

TT2019TT2019 Posts: 1
edited June 29 in What's on your mind?

I have had no treatments or anything I haven't even been to the doctor since 2005. I honestly thought I had cancer because of things that I was having pain and now I know what my problem is. I need estrogen and progesterone. Basically I'm not a female anymore. My body is all jacked up. I need help understanding. Cant afford to go to the doctor and wondering if I can get OTC estrogen and progesterone.

Comments

• HousefaithHousefaith Posts: 7
    Hi, am new hear just need help and advice about my menopause symptoms. Just had hysterectomy two weeks ago but still have my ovaries. Am going through a lot of symptoms that I can't even begin to explain to anyone, because I don't even understand it myself. Am still struggling to get well from the surgery, and now this. Am having a lot of pain in my head, affecting my vision, body itching, blotting, foggy head, some time chest holding badly, dizziness and lots of bad symptoms tired almost all the time. My GP has send me for few tests, but everything always come back okay, l just started taking hrt since Friday, but not sure what to say about that right now. Please any advice?. Thanks
  • KazKaz Posts: 482 mod
    TT2019 said:

I have had no treatments or anything I haven't even been to the doctor since 2005. I honestly thought I had cancer because of things that I was having pain and now I know what my problem is. I need estrogen and progesterone. Basically I'm not a female anymore. My body is all jacked up. I need help understanding. Cant afford to go to the doctor and wondering if I can get OTC estrogen and progesterone.

Hello @TT2019,

Huge apologies! I'm not sure how I've managed to miss your post, but I have, and it's been a while since you asked your question. 
    Are you based in the US? (I'm only guessing that from the different spelling of estrogen).
    I've checked here (UK), and as far as I can find, oestrogen and progesterone are not available over the counter. Even if you could find it, I really wouldn't recommend taking anything without advice from a doctor.  Would you be able to access a community clinic for some advice?
    Have a look around the forum for lots of advice of alternative ways to treat your menopause symptoms. Some women have great success in reducing their symptoms with exercise, changes to the foods they're eating, mindfulness to help with anxiety and insomnia, supplements etc.
    I know from experience that some of the alternatives come at a price, and that may also be a problem. It certainly was for me - and I found that for a long time I had to put up with flushes, low mood and other symptoms, and just cope the best way I could. That's no fun for you, or the people around you!
    My friend has recommended www.menopause.org for some great resources and help to source a doctor in your state - again, apologies if I've assumend US incorrectly.

• KazKaz Posts: 482 mod
    Hi, am new hear just need help and advice about my menopause symptoms. Just had hysterectomy two weeks ago but still have my ovaries. Am going through a lot of symptoms that I can't even begin to explain to anyone, because I don't even understand it myself. Am still struggling to get well from the surgery, and now this. Am having a lot of pain in my head, affecting my vision, body itching, blotting, foggy head, some time chest holding badly, dizziness and lots of bad symptoms tired almost all the time. My GP has send me for few tests, but everything always come back okay, l just started taking hrt since Friday, but not sure what to say about that right now. Please any advice?. Thanks
    Hello again @Housefaith ,

There seems to be an awful lot going on for you. I can see from what you write, just how frustrated you are with it all.

Two weeks after your hysterectomy, your main job is to rest and recover. I've had the same op, with my ovaries left behind too, so I know that you need to allow yourself a decent amount of  time to heal.

It's really great news that you've already been prescribed HRT, and it's only a short time since you started it. It will take a few weeks to begin to settle in and realistically, you're looking at 3 - 6 months for you to feel the full effect. Don't be downhearted about that. It needs time to settle into your system, and you may feel a little bit worse to begin with, but it will settle. I had sore breasts, PMT like symptoms and some bloating initially. I really felt that far from making me feel better, I felt a little bit worse for a while, Hang in there - you have two things happening at once. Recovery from surgery, and a new HRT regime establishing itself. Give yourself some space to heal and allow the HRT to do its job.

Your symptoms do sound exhausting - and I understand what you mean when you say you don't understand what's going on. That's exactly how I felt a lot of the time, and I'm know lots of other women feel the same. I have also experienced a lot of similar symptoms to you - bloating, palpitations, hot flushes, dizziness, itching, brain fog, insomnia, sore joints. My hysterectomy was 16 years ago, and I only got HRT around 7 months ago. I wasn't allowed HRT and used supplements and other alternative therapies to cope with all of those symptoms for all that time.
    I can honestly say that the difference with all of my symptoms now that I'm on HRT is huge. I've had a couple of tweaks to the doseage, but I now feel so much better, and most of those symptoms have mostly gone.

I'm attaching a symptoms list for you. I share it a lot, but I find it really helpful to keep track of things, and my doctor found it helpful to see in writing what I was trying to explain. Hopefully it will help you to see your symptoms disappearing over the next few weeks and months.

The best thing I've discovered to help me on a daily basis is a mindfulness app called Clarity. It helps me with a lot of my symptoms, but more importantly it helps me to sleep, and it helps keep my anxiety in check. I think it would be a really good idea for you to try something like this to help you relax whilst you recover. I love Clarity (for menopausal women) but of course, there are others. It takes a little bit of practice, but it's not a lot of effort and the results in terms of sleep, and a feeling of calm, is well worth that little bit of work.

I hope that you feel a little better reading this and knowing you're not on your own. Feel free to keep in touch and ask any questions you need to. 

Be kind to yourself whilst you recover! 😊

https://clarity.app/

https://menopausesupport.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/MENOPAUSE-SYMPTOM-CHECKER.docx

• HousefaithHousefaith Posts: 7
    Hi Kaz, thank you so much for your information, because I really appreciate it, but I really hope that l need time to heal from my surgery meaning it get better. My surgery was successful done 14/6/19. Please l hope you wouldn't mind me contacting you again tomorrow? Thanks again for now