Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Surgical menopause and hrt

helefreehelefree Posts: 1

At my wits end. I had a surgical menopause as a result of hysterectomy and ovaries removed 2 years ago. I have been on everol 100 patches for 18 months but still have awful brain fog and overwhelming fatigue and no sex drive. Everything is so flat and I can’t see the point of things anymore. I just feel lost and old. Ended up on antidepressants and leaving my job as just couldn’t cope anymore. I went to see my gp to see if it could be hormone levels and tried to discuss if testosterone might help. He said no one gets put on testosterone and even suggested coming off hrt. He did take my bloods but not for hormone levels. Not sure what to do as jut feel this awful fatigue and just so sad.


  • KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

    Hello @helefree

    Welcome to our forum.

    I'm so sorry to see how awful you're feeling. I can understand only too well your frustration - it took me years until I could get the HRT help I needed after my hysterectomy, so I've learned a few things along the way.

    Your GP isn't strictly correct as far as the testosterone goes. Testosterone isn't suitable for everyone but NICE Guidance on menopause states that testosterone can be considered for those that need it (NG23).Testosterone can be prescribed on the NHS if the prescriber is familiar with it and is willing to prescribe it ‘off licence’. Some GP's prefer not to take this decision and refer to a specialist for advice before prescribing. Other GPs will have prescribing restrictions which mean they are not able to offer it. So you CAN have it prescribed, but you will need to find the right doctor to do that.

    Can I suggest that you start again? Ring your surgery and ask to see the person in the practice with the most menopause experience. It might not even be a GP - it could be a nurse practitioner. Whoever it is (and I hope they have at least one!), that's the person you need to go and chat to. If there is no one at your practice, go and see your GP and ask to be referred to a menopause clinic if there is one in your area. Were you aware that menopause clinics exist? These clinics specialise in all things Menopause and HRT related. You need to be referred by your GP (fingers crossed that there is a clinic in your area) but you will have to ask for that referral! And you shouldn't be afraid to ask! You deserve to be able to access the help you need. I'll pop a link at the bottom of this reply for you to search for one in your area. There are NHS ones, but there are also private clinics if the budget stretches that far. I would try searching just for NHS first. I certainly didn't have the budget for private! If there is one and travel/distance is an issue - you can ask about a phone or "attend anywhere" consultation which is a bit like a Skype call.

    If you don't get anywhere with your GP, it may be worth ringing other local doctors surgeries to ask if they have a doctor with menopause experience or expertise. Changing your practice might be a nuisance, but It's worth making the effort to find the support you need! Please don't feel that you have to stay with the same GP if you're not getting the help that you need.

    From what you're describing, it sounds to me as if you would benefit from the help of one of these specialist menopause doctors. Eighteen months is a long time to be struggling the way that you are. I felt exactly like you at one point, so I know that with the right treatment, you can feel a whole lot better.

    Go and see your surgery and try asking for that referral. ❤️

Sign In or Register to comment.