› ›

Coil

I saw the gynaecologist again on Friday, results of 2nd more in-depth hysteroscopy came back dodgy again so have been told I have to have a 3rd one done and be put to sleep again so they can go even higher and try again. I've been fighting against having a coil fitted as I get thrush a lot and when ever I've had a coil previously it's been worse but I have basically been told that I need to try the coil as this will thin out the womb lining or the alternative is to go straight for a full hysterectomy. I've agreed to give it a go as they won't give me HRT until they can find out what's causing the bleeding. They wanted to get me in next week to do it but I've said no as my son gets married next week so waiting for a date now. I'm all over the place, moods are up the wall, being horrible to everyone, I dislike the person I have become. Totally had enough of this menopause business.

For all those with the coil did you find it helped and do you also take HRT? X

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 461 mod
    edited June 17

Hi @jules30 ,

How frustrating for you when all you want to do is relax and enjoy your son's wedding!

It's really hard to offer advice about some things, and I think, this is one of them. The coil can be fitted for all sorts of reasons, including the bleeding that you've been experiencing. A lot of women have the coil fitted and have great success with it - their periods are lighter, shorter or stop altogether.

I had one fitted to control heavy bleeding. During my cycle I used to bleed three weeks out of four, which left me severely anaemic, and after I had my son, I bled continually. There was no letup. Doctors couldn't work out what the problem was. The coil was fitted in an attempt to stop the bleeding. It didn't work for me, and the coil was removed during my hysterectomy nine months later. It didn't give me any issues with thrush - it just had no impact at all on any of my symptoms.

We say a lot on the forum though, that what works for one woman may not work for another. The same is true in reverse. It didn't work for me, but I think it's really important to remember that thousands of women have coils fitted every year with great success, and I really hope that this turns out to be the case for you.

I'm sorry that you're having all these difficulties but I really hope you can put your worries aside for the day and enjoy your sons's wedding fully next week. Good luck! 😊

• jules30jules30 Posts: 11 ✭

Thanks Kaz. I'm looking forward to the big day X

• BessBess Posts: 9 ✭

[email protected]es@jules30

Just read your post, I have my 3rd coil in (Nov 2016), I had hip & back trouble which started in March, think this brought everything crashing down for me. My husband has had a hard time trying to get to grips with the menopause as I am not the woman he married 32 yrs ago😏 he reckons I started in the menopause shortly after the 3rd coil was inserted, mood swings were the start of my symptoms, only this year for night sweats & hot flashes. I am back at my gp today as when I went to get all the info about hrt patches my blood pressure was up and had to get a 24hr monitor on and that showed too many spikes so now I am on a low level tablet 5mg as a trial so hrt has to wait. My gp is great and worked out when to go in and get this coil out and change my hrt type.

Will add jules that it did make it hard to work out when I became menopausal because I had the coil in, did have 2 bleeds, 1 in 2014 & 2nd in 2016, both spotting really, blood test showed very low (4) fsh so that's why I got the 3rd coil in 2016.

I don't know if any of the above is any help, really does come down to what helps you yourself, coil will work if you let your body accept its presence, by all I have heard and read the bleeding can be awful to go through so let the coil sort that, anything to make your life easier.

Good luck hope you have a great day for your son's wedding, maybe check out the website Kaz uses for a mindfulness app, as a way to help you with the mood swings? Also as a wedding can be emotional and stressful it could help over the few days.

Good luck

Bess

• jules30jules30 Posts: 11 ✭

Hi @Bess

Thank you for the reply. I think the only reason I'm not keen on the coil is because I suffer with thrush a lot, even having a smear brings it on so I know having a coil will too. I'm willing to give it a go and see how I get on. Have the pre op assessment on 1st July so time will tell.

I'm really looking forward to my son's wedding on Thursday. Should be a lovely day even though it's going to be very hot so hot flushes will look fantastic in the photos lol X

• BessBess Posts: 9 ✭

Hi @jules30

Just a thought, I have often got thrush over the years and it is horrible and uncomfortable. However, to help with an embarrassing flatulence problem and irregular bowel I started taking apple cider vinegar with the mother lode, even once a day in a large glass of water, its disgusting but haven't had thrush and was able to eat yoghurts (which I would blame as well) daily with no after effects. Also sorted my flatulence issue!!! Just a thought, and it kicked in within days

Good luck