Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

HRT CONFUSION

sammy123sammy123 Posts: 2

Ive decided to take HRT after much research but I'm confused about bleeding /periods of anyone can help please? I only got them today and brain fog it still entrenched! So I I take the white pill for two weeks, then the grey pill for two weeks, and despite no period now for for months, I can expect a period after the 28 days of pill? Is that right? I'm off on holiday in 27 days and would rather not have a period while away so I'd just wait until next week to be 'clear', would that work? Sorry to be dense, thank you x

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hi @sammy123 ,

Nice to see you here.

It does get very confusing doesn’t it?

I wouldn’t want a period on holiday if I could avoid it either!

If you’re just starting HRT (not swapping from another kind of HRT), I think the patient information leaflet will tell you that you can start on any convenient day, so your plan could work. If you want to be entirely sure, a quick chat with your pharmacist will confirm that for you. Our local chemist is always happy to answer questions about medicines and it saves me from having to try and phone the GP to check.

Good luck with your HRT - hope it works really well for you. Remember a few side effects might appear whilst it’s settling in. I had a bit of bloating, some PMT type issues and sore boobs, but they settled down really quickly, and I feel great now. I think it was easier to deal with that because I knew to expect it, which is why I’m passing it on!

Have a brilliant holiday too! 😊

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi @sammy123

You have done the right thing for you in starting HRT and like Kaz has said you can start them when you are ready to so may be wait for a couple of weeks then start. You generally do get a period after the 4th week so if you can time it that you have only just started the grey tablets when you go away you should be fine.

Have a lovely holiday. Where are you off to ? X

• sammy123sammy123 Posts: 2

Thank you both for your reply. I’ll wait a bit before starting to avoid a holiday period! Off to France so good food and wine await ! Thank you again