Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Spotting

ninniemouseninniemouse Posts: 1

I'm 51 and have not had a period for about 2 years. Noticed slight spotting last night. Bright red in colour. I'm a little itchy/uncomfortable too. Not noticed anything like this before. Up to date with smear tests. Have had cervical polyps and uterine fibroids before. Lost my husband to bowel cancer just over a year ago so am panicking about all sorts of possible cancers myself now.

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hello @ninniemouse ,

I'm so sorry to read about your husband - I can understand why it would be making you feel even more anxious about the symptoms you're experiencing.

It's easy to say, but please try not to worry. There are all sorts of reasons why this could be happening, including the polyps and fibroids that you've mentioned. According to the NHS website though, only one in ten cases of vaginal bleeding after the menopause are caused by cancer, so it's unlikely to be that. I hope that gives you a bit of reassurance.

If you're feeling uncomfortable or itchy, it could also be something as simple as thrush or vaginitis which can also sometimes cause spotting.

All cases of bleeding or spotting after the menopause should be investigated though, so I would really recommend making an appointment to go and see your GP.

Hope this helps.😊