Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Bioidentical Hormones & Dry Blood in nose / bruising?

meg1970meg1970 Posts: 2

Hi gals,

I'm seeking info on a problem I'm having with taking bioidentical hormones (BIH). I've been prescribed BIH here in Australia after seeking them out to deal with awful hot-flushes / insomnia which started at 47 years old. Testing has since confirmed I've been through menopause and based on that I was put on an oestrogen / progesterone mix mid 2018. While the BIH definitely sorted out the night sweats, unfortunately on the twice daily dose I was taking, it was causing me to wake up with dried blood in my nose every morning and also get sometimes bruising on my feet which was quite concerning. My doctor had me checked out for the DVT genes and I was all clear there. 

Initially we just reduced the dose to approx 1 per day and sometimes 2 x and that was ok. However now the hot flushes have started creeping in during the day and I don't seem to be able to hit the "sweet spot" of taking enough to stop the flushes but low enough to stop the blood in nose issue. My doctor told me that she has never heard of this happening before which is of course always the LAST thing you want to hear! My overall health is very good in all other areas and I look after myself pretty well (although fair amount of stress at this midlife time).

I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced these symptoms or what they might be about? Life had become completely unmanageable with all the menopause symptoms prior to starting these hormones and I want to find answers so I don't have to stop them entirely.

Also to confirm - it's dried blood in the nose, not actually nose bleeds.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share any insights / advice.

Meg

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod
    edited April 2019

Hello Meg!

It's nice to have you with us !

I have to admit I know nothing about Bioidentical Hormones, so I'll be very interested to see if anyone can offer something to help you. It must be frustrating for you, and for your doctor, when things had been going so well. I'm glad your checks for DVT genes were clear. That's good news.

I have problems waking up with a crusty/bloody nose, and have been helped enormously by having a humidifier in the bedroom at night. My problem is dryness caused by heat and allergies like hayfever, which dries out the nasal passages and causes the problems. Might be worth a try?

Have you or your doctor been in touch with the manufacturer to see if they have any other patients with similar symptoms, especially the bruises?

Hope you get some answers! 😊

• meg1970meg1970 Posts: 2

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for your kind welcome.

We live in quite a damp house so funnily enough have to use a dehumidifier in the bedroom! I had wondered whether it was an allergic response because as you say, this is common also with hayfever. Perhaps I'm allergic to the oestrogen? Seems odd those as I took OCP for years and nothing like this.

All the best,

Meg