Problem sleeping

I have very broken sleep at nights. In total I probably get only 3 hours sleep. At the moment I don't feel tired have dark patch under my eyes, but feel if it continues it will take its toll. I have tried everything suggested but have no effect.

Do you have any suggestions of what may help. This has been going on for a month or so

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 439 mod

Hello @Green15 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Not being able to sleep is the worst feeling in the world isn’t it? I have experience of it myself, so I know how awful it can be. We’ve been talking about it elsewhere on the forum - I wonder if there are any tips you can pick up from some of our other ladies? Have you spoken to your GP about this? Do you have a bedtime routine that you follow? Do you take any supplements or are you on HRT? So many questions! 😊

There are lots of things that you can try. What works for some might not necessarily work for you, but when you can’t sleep anything is worth a try! I’ve tried magnesium, valerian, no electronic devices before bed, warm milk at bedtime, eating bananas (!), Lavender sprays, fans to keep the bedroom cool, water sprays, walking the legs off my poor dogs, all sorts of things in fact and finally after years of asking, I’ve been given hrt patches.

I also use a mindfulness app to help me switch off my mind. There are lots of apps out there but I use the Clarity app by one of our experts in the forum @Becks_Armstrong . I find it really helps me to wind down, and if I wake up in the night for the dreaded loo stop, it helps me get back to sleep again. This is working well for me. Finally, I’m beginning to get some regular sleep, but it’s been a real slog to get here!

I’ve also swapped to a new alpaca duvet, which was expensive, but has helped enormously with my hot flushes. It seems to regulate the heat better so that I don’t overheat.

Don't lose hope - there are lots of things to try. But I do fully understand just how debilitating it can be when you’re not getting any sleep.

I hope you can find something that works for you! 😊 

• Becks_ArmstrongBecks_Armstrong Posts: 28 Menopause Mindfulness Expert

Hi @Green15,

Sorry to hear you're not getting enough sleep, you said that you've everything suggested to you, can you tell us a little more about what you've tried and how long you've tried it for? All of @Kaz's suggestions are good ones (either by themselves or as a combination) have you given all of these things a try? My other suggestion would be in your wind down phase doing some grateful journaling (or even just pausing to think about it) as a last thing before falling asleep may be an option for you. You can try my app https://clarity.app/ as it has a range of sleep sessions or background sessions to listen to. The sessions for going to sleep all have a grateful element to them. Making sure that you are slowing down your breathing, and trying to relax your muscles can also help.

I wish you the very best of luck with your sleep - let us know if there's something more you need help with or what's worked for you. 🤞🏿

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity

Check out the Clarity app on iTunes & Google Play
  • Green15Green15 Posts: 5

I've tried black out curtain

Femmenessence maca pause

Going to bed the same time each night

No mobile phone.

Herbal teas for aiding sleep

Winding down before bedtime

• KazKaz Posts: 439 mod

Hi @Green15

You have my sympathy. I've only recently sorted out my sleep routine, and like you I've tried a lot of things to try and get some sleep.

Of all the things you have to deal with when you approach the menopause, up there at the top of my list as one of the worst things, is insomnia. The trouble with a lack of sleep is that it becomes all consuming. It's all you can think about, which makes it so difficult to get out of the cycle of not sleeping. Just a few years ago, I was making do with 2 to 3 hours a night, working 40-50 hours a week in the care industry, looking after a family with five kids and two dogs, and I was permanently stressed and exhausted.

These days, with the help of HRT, some supplements and a bedtime routine that I try not to alter, I have the luxury of 5 hours sleep a night, which doesn't sound like much at all, but is a massive improvement on days gone by.

For me I think routine is key. I'm about to repeat myself (sorry!) but I do think finding a routine that works for you is the key.

I try to go to bed at the same time every night - usually around 11pm. The windows have to be open., even in the middle of winter. There's a fan "just in case". My alpaca duvet helps keep my temperature regulated, and with the help of HRT, magnesium and 5HTP (not to be used if you take anti depressants, the night time flushes are now minimal, and I am sleeping much better. When I get into bed, I start my mindfulness app on a sleep programme and I am having really great results with that. The app allows me to relax and "switch my head off,", and I rarely make it to the end without falling asleep! I was sceptical when I first started using these apps, but I find they really work well. If I wake-up during the night for any reason, I pop the app back on to help me get back to sleep, and it makes such a difference. I also make sure that I get up at the same time every day, even on weekends. It seems like a lot of work just to get a night's sleep, but when you've been sleep deprived for any amount of time, when you find something that works, you stick with it!

I would definitely give the app a try. You do feel a bit daft to start with, but persevere and I really believe you might find a difference. It doesn't even bother my other half lying next to me, although in fairness, nothing much disturbs his sleep!

Good luck! 😊

• AdahChloe1AdahChloe1 Posts: 1
    edited July 18

Try changing your mattress with a soft and comfy one.

I also had the same issuea while back, i even tried placing hot bottle water and all but all in vain.

then one of my friend suggest me to change your mattress.

so i bought a soft and comfortable mattress from Nest-bedding and its really works out for me.

I also suggest you the same.

good luck.

• bellawillsonbellawillson Posts: 1
    edited July 18
    Lots of people have problems sleeping and they just think it's a normal part of life. Unfortunately, most of them don't know that they could actually DIE from not sleeping enough. It won't happen suddenly of course, but if given enough time, a serious lack of sleep will cripple the immune system and make the body incredibly vulnerable to all sorts of infections.ill suggest you you change a gel mattress its 100% solve your problem.

• Loopylou69Loopylou69 Posts: 1
    I am going through the menopause, I started with the hot flashes in the day and night and due to lack of sleep became a nightmare no patience, very irritable and felt like an alien had taken over. Initially I started taking an Asda menopause supplement, which worked for a time. Then my sweats stopped. So stopped taking the tablets. Then out the blue my hot flushes and sweats started again I went back on the Asda tablets but they didn't work this time around. I tried Isoflavones from Holland and Barrett but no improvement. I went to my GP who gave me antihistamines to help with my sleep these did work to a point. My flushes and night sweats became unbearable, so I gave in and went back to the Gp and asked to go on HRT Klinofem it took 2 to 3 weeks to work and I am hot flushes and night sweats free it is definitely trial and error, my one thing that helped prior to HRT for temporary relief was a cooling gel pad which you put in the fridge and can place under your pillow case or anyway on the body you need to cool down I even used it at work. Hope this helps 😁