Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Hot flushes and night sweats

fosterde01fosterde01 Posts: 1

Hi, I had a full hysterectomy last year due to endometrial cancer. I am trying to deal with my problems without any help. I don't want to use hrt as been given the advice not too.

The problems are getting worse, night sweats, hot flushes, light head, dryness down below , I do use lubricants which help, I've also got a great relationship with my husband and we talk a lot about the issues that arise and also laugh about them too, we get by on the sexual issues but I do worry it will get worse.

I was wondering if anyone has tried natural remedies and if so what they are for me to try.

Any help or advice will be greatly received.

Comments

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hello @fosterde01

Thanks for joining us on the forum, and for sharing a little bit of what you’ve been through. It’s a lot to deal with isn’t is?

Thank goodness for a supportive husband you can laugh with - that’s priceless!

I am now on HRT - but I’ve had 14 years of similar symptoms to yours without HRT. I’ve tried lots and lots and LOTS of things to get some relief. Some worked well, others not so much! It’s very much a case of trying things, and not giving up when you don’t get the result you’re looking for!

I remember an Ask Me Anything discussion on the forum in February with Maryon Stewart, where a lady in a similar situation to you asked for some advice. Maryon said this..

”When you have low levels of nutrients it will send you into what I call ‘economy mode’. The body functions but energy, sense of humour and libido are a stretch too far. You don’t say how old you are or where you live. In an ideal world you could get your nutrient levels measured and then work to boost them back into a normal range. I have worked with many women in your situation and managed to get them feeling much more like their old self, even without lab tests. The very first thing I would advise you to do is take a broad-spectrum multi-vitamin and mineral supplement like Fema45+ to get your nutrient levels into an optimum range.”

That seems like it might be a good place to start for you!

I had good results with magnesium (for sleep and aches and pains) and a supplement called Nutrition FX. I don’t know how that would interact with any of the treatments you may still be taking, so I would always advise speaking to a pharmacist or GP before starting anything. Nutrition FX I thought, was fairly expensive, but I did find that it worked. It didn't get rid of all the symptoms, but it improved things a whole lot!

Some ladies swear by sage and black cohosh for the sweats. I tried them both with limited success. I also tried red clover, evening primrose oil, dong quai and the ladycare magnet, which I wore attached to my knickers! I have spent a fortune looking for answers over the years!

I think there’s a lot to be said for watching what you eat - drinking lots of water, and eating well definitely helps. Our expert @The_Menopause_Chef is great for giving brilliant advice on food choices to help us! She’s also very receptive to answering any questions you have (all of our experts are!).

I swear by the Clarity app by @Becks_Armstrong . It really helps to bring a bit of calm to my day, and helps me to sleep. Sleep (or lack of!) was the one thing that knocked me sideways. I could deal with most other symptoms, but it all got a bit too much when I was only sleeping for two or three hours a night. This app also has an Instacool session for those hot flush moments in the middle of the night (or anytime) when it all gets too much. I didn’t expect it to help, but it really did, and is definitely worth a try.

I think the thing to remember is that you have choices. Lots and lots of choices! You will find something that works for you, and I’m testament to the fact that persevering and patience (not my strong point! 😊) is the key!

Use the experts on the forum to ask any questions you can think of - they have a wealth of knowledge and they’re all very good at pointing you in the right direction. I’m pretty much on top of all of my symptoms now as a result of help from @Nicki_Williams and @Becks_Armstrong .

I hope you find something here that helps! 😊

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi fosterde01

Welcome. Sorry to hear you have been through so much already and now to have all of the menopause symptoms on top of it all must be awful. Thank goodness you have an understanding husband and you can both laugh about it.

I can't give you much advise on alternative treatments as although I am not on HRT I am coping okish on menopace. Sage and citalopram at the moment.

Have you tried going in to Holland and Barrett and speaking to somebody in there as they should be able to tell you what would be good to try. You do need to remember though that it may take trying a few different things before you find something that works for you.

Unfortunately with menopause it's a very different journey for everyone so what works for one may not for another. A lot of people swear by evening primrose oil but I can't take them as they turn me in to a raving lunatic 😀

Good luck in your journey. Keep us posted on anything you find that works for you x

• Becks_ArmstrongBecks_Armstrong Posts: 33 Menopause Mindfulness Expert

Hi fosterde01, I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms -- these issues can really pack a punch at times, it would be so helpful if it was just one at a time, wouldn't it? I would agree with what @Kaz and @Julie20 have said. I can't comment on the natural remedies but I just wanted to see if I could help you a little with the hot sweats, night sweats and libido issues you're having.

With your hormones fluctuating so quickly and often it can really knock you, so helping with getting a good and deep sleep is really key (which is tough if you're waking up drenched in sweat). If you want to check out my app https://clarity.app/ we have a little snowflake that is specifically designed for your hot/night sweats to help quickly re-balance your body. If you can get yourself into a good sleep hygiene routine and properly wind down before going to sleep it can really help you prevent some of the sweats - not always but it can help. We have some sleep sessions that help you wind down as well.

For the dryness, lube is a good first step, you can also look at some of the vaginal moisturisers if you're not wanting to use any oestrogen creams. I have created a series of improving your libido sessions on the app that you can give a try, they would help on a number of fronts, a) helping you lower your stress levels b) help you get in touch with your body slowly and gently and c) work to improve your libido which can also help with improving dryness. Orgasms (with or without your husband) are a good way to also improve the energy and fluid to the area so that may also be an option for you.

I'm delighted to hear that you have such a lovely and supportive husband, and finding a way to laugh with some of these things that go on to us is so important.

I wish you all the very best. Send me a note if you have any questions.

Facebook - hey_clarity
    Insta - @hey_clarity 
    Twitter - @hey_clarity

Check out the Clarity app on iTunes & Google Play
  • Ladyjb1968Ladyjb1968 Posts: 1

Hi Fosrede01

I had a Hysterectomy October 2017 as I had some large Fibroids I too suffer terrible with the Menopause the hot flushes at night are terrible & I don't sleep well either someone I work with told me about Menomagic cream you rub some on your wrist & behind your ears when you are starting to get a hot flush also you can rub some on the soles of your feet at night to help as well I only started using it yesterday but already it's helping it's like a cooling sensation up & down my body you can use it as when you need it for me I am using it quite a lot already also I bought some Lavender spray to spray on my pillow to help me relax & help with sleep first night last night & it helped to relax me I bought both products on the shop on here just ordered some more stuff today see if it helps do you suffer with anxiety & panic attacks? I do so I have ordered some balm creams see if they will help I will try anything if it helps i cannot go on HRT my hubby is very understanding as well & we also have a laugh about my hot flushes I was only just saying about getting the fan out ready just in case we get some warm weather this year lol...i am lucky at the mo I don't get vaginal dryness but I do get dry itchy skin for that I use Saenz Dermot pro hydrate shower cream & Vaseline mature skin rejuvenation moisture lotion that has helped stop having itchy skin especially my boobs I was scratching so much i was making them red & sore my hair has suffered as well it's gone all limp & the texture has changed as well what us ladies go through men do not realise how lucky they are lol...you might want to try what I mentioned above it's worth a try if it helps only just joined this community so not sure how to navigate but if its possible & you want to chat please do hope you get some relief soon tc x

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hello @Ladyjb1968 ,

Welcome to the forum!

Some really great tips there. Thank you for sharing!

I LOVE Menomagic too. I rub it on the soles of my feet before I go to bed. .

Thank goodness for a supportive other half too - it makes a huge difference doesn’t it? 😊