Home Menopause Forum My Menopause Symptoms & Solutions

Heavy periods/flooding

LS1LS1 Posts: 1

I'm having flooding during some periods which is resulting in leaks despite using pads for heavy flow and changing them often. This is very embarrassing. I've been using Always ultra size 2 pads (purple pack). Does anyone have any suggestions for a pad that is good for very heavy flow/flooding please? (Just in case anyone is worried I've had checks for fibroids and polyps, and have only one fibroid.)

Comments

• Julie20Julie20 Posts: 345 mod

Hi LS1

I'm sorry to hear this. It can be really embarrassing when this happens and you get to the stage where you feel you can't go out which is no way to live.

May sound silly but have you tried using maternity pads and using 2 at a time to make it longer and thicker in the middle. Don't put them directly on top of each other if that makes sense. It will mean the thickest part will be directly where you need it.

Also ask your GP for mefenamic acid tablets. It slows the bleeding down.

Good luck x

• KazKaz Posts: 475 mod

Hi @LS1

I remember it well!

I used to to dread going anywhere - and because I bled for three weeks out of four, I became severely anaemic. It was double whammy! I lived in nighttime pads, and the cost of keeping up was astronomical! I had changes of clothes stashed everywhere I went - at work, in the car, in my handbag. Extra protection on my mattress! Not sexy at all!

Mefenamic acid can work for some women - it might be good to have a conversation with your GP to see if that’s an option for you. There are also other treatments and options that your GP can offer you.

If this is a real problem for you (ie it’s having a big impact on your life) don’t be afraid to keep going back to your GP until they get you the help you need 😊

• KavKav Posts: 1

Have you heard of https://www.modibodi.com/? It’s underwear specifically made for heavy periods.

• URSSYURSSY Posts: 5

Thank you. I feel like im not the only one!

I've always had heavy periods but last few years (I'm 49) I've noticed a difference. I'm using thick night time bladder pads..so big there like wearing a nappy, along side super plus tampons and actually feel like I'm okay lol....long gone are the days of thin pads...

But in the 2 or 3 days i need to wear very hard to hide the bulky pad in good fitting pants under clothes.

NOT the most comfortable but I feel no leaks can happen.